Replicating my wife's Oxtail Soup (Not Q, but good eats)

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I am making one of the few dishes I have learned how to make from my Korean wife in hopes that she gets released from the hospital tomorrow. Oxtail Soup. If you have never had it, quit making that face. I thought the same before I tried it. Now, it is my favorite beef soup.

First you soak the ox (cow in this case) tail in water for a couple hours to get the blood out. Rinse the pieces off and throw them in a pot with a bunch of cloves of garlic. Fill to the top with water and bring it to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer.

10397983_938207812874151_1132282083325150517_n.jpg

Let it simmer overnight, spooning off any foam or fat that rises to the top, and adding water as needed.

10689574_938207829540816_3407623809550171139_n.jpg

All that beefy goodness is being infused in the broth.

10639701_938207886207477_1087687667612247830_n.jpg

More to come tomorrow...

I love Oxtail soup, My Aunty would flour and brown the bones first.
Hers would be Irish recipe I guess.
Hope your wife is all good.
looking forward to the rest of the cook

:doh:

Last edited:
Oxtail stew is so good for a fall/winter evening. Your process takes a lot longer than what I am used to. Very interested to see what comes next.
The way the prices have gone almost makes them seem like an indulgence.

Whaaa? What face?
Who in hail doesn't LOVE ox tail soup?

Hope your lady is doing well and recovers soon, that soup WILL help!

You should try 'kangaroo tail soup ...have you seen their TAILS???
:faint:

Also, I really love seeing non Q stuff here.

Ok, meat simmered all night and then I turned it off this morning. After it cooled some, I used a mesh skimmer to pull the meat, bones, and garlic cloves from the soup. Refrigerated the soup, and then skimmed the excess fat off. Then started the fun job of separating the meat...

10710851_938711449490454_5193050723067106498_n.jpg

Meat separated, potatoes sliced. Put the potatoes in the soup and cooked them. Tasted the soup and added salt / pepper.

The last thing to do is add the meat back, heat it up, and add scallions right at the end. I'll do that when she is when she ready to eat. I also have a pot of rice cooked to go with it.

10001475_938711512823781_2024388850325064695_n.jpg

Final picture to come when she's ready to eat.

My mouth is watering now. My mother used to make oxtail stew when we were kids, hers had potatoes carrots and other vegetables. Dad also put them on the grille and sauced them, they may have been boiled 1st:shock: can't really remeber.

PerPhect!:cool:

On a side note...I'd brown up the meat bePhore it hit the water (or other liquid) in the pan like AussieTitch said.
Extra Phlavour.:thumb:

Looks great. I love oxtail! Glad to hear the missus is home- take care of her brother.

Thanks y'all for the well wishes. Second back surgery in ten years. She's a stronger person than I am...

PerPhect!:cool:

On a side note...I'd brown up the meat bePhore it hit the water (or other liquid) in the pan like AussieTitch said.
Extra Phlavour.:thumb:

You know, I have wondered what they would be liked smoked or even braised, but for this meal, I was trying to recreate a dish she serves, so the searing was not a part of that...

You know, I have wondered what they would be liked smoked or even braised, but for this meal, I was trying to recreate a dish she serves, so the searing was not a part of that...

I Phigured it out that you want to keep it as traditional as possible.:thumb:
But...the caramalization/maillard reaction gives so much Phlavour.
A week ago I made beePh bouillon from oxtail...smoked it Phirst and then browned it in the pan.
Go for it next time.:grin:

Back