Beef Rib Cuts

Vision

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What are the differences between the following rib cuts/packages? They all look about the same- like dino bones. Is one best?

1. Beef back ribs

2. Beef chuck short ribs

3. Beef short ribs (plate)

I very much prefer the short ribs. Of chuck and plate, one is the 3 bone racks, the other is 4 - I never remember which is which, but they're all pretty dang good - in fact my favorite cut of beef. The 3 bone racks seem to be meatier, but there is nothing at all wrong with the 4 bone racks - they're really meaty too.

I have had a hard time finding good back ribs - good back ribs means somewhere there's a rib roast with less meat than it could have. I'd think butchers prefer to cut favoring the rib roast rather than the back ribs.

I really like beef back ribs. The bark to meat ratio is awesome. A local butcher sells them trimmed off the carcass and there is decent meat on them. It does take quite a few to make a meal, but think of them like crab legs, it takes a lot to get full.

Here's a plate I did:

10628279_910191155675817_551715274142006915_n.jpg

10538387_910259339002332_1418584283969281501_n.jpg

Hoping I can get some meaty beef ribs on my first run to RD. Can't find any here in the butcher shops or markets.

GTR, I think plate is three.....I think......

If you're going to do those, get a big piece of charcoal cause they're BIG !!!

LateMayAsstd075.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Plate has 3 ribs: bones 6, 7, and 8. I slightly prefer them to the chuck ribs. As mentioned, its hard to find meaty beef backs

If Resturant Depot has any beef back ribs in stock, they are usually pretty damned meaty compared to generic store bought ones. Stater brothers gouges the hell out of them

I've never used Beef Chuck Short ribs...

Beef ribs have much more flavor, meat, fat, and connective tissue than pork ribs.

I have used two types of beef ribs; Beef Short Ribs and Beef Back Ribs.

Short ribs are cut from the rib and plate primals and a small corner of the square-cut chuck. A full slab of short ribs is typically about 10 inches square, ranges from 3-5 inches thick, and contains three or four ribs and they can take as long as 8 hours before they are done.

Back ribs are usually cut from the ends of a prime rib roast, a very desirable and an expensive cut. There is a lot of tasty meat between the bones. Back ribs can are usally sold in slabs of 8 or more bones which can be up to 8" long. Depending on how much meat is on them and the thickness of the bones, they can be finished in as little as three hours.

Beef short ribs have more meat than beef back ribs, but both will pack great beef flavor.

Short Plate is Ribs 6-10, no trim.
Some say cutting into 2-rib sections is advised.

Beef plate ribs are cut from ribs 1 through 4, and from the top end, where the bones flatten in cross section. They are most often sold as a chunk of 3 to 5 ribs, about 8 to 9 inches square.

The beef chuck rib, which is not a real designation, is the same section of the rib cage, from ribs 1-4, however lower along the rib, from behind the chuck and brisket areas. They are usually sold as short ribs, in sections about 3 to 4 inches long, but, can be found in sections up to 8 inches long.

Beef back ribs are trimmed from the rib primal, ribs 5 through 12, and are the same bones included in a Prime Rib roast or Rib chop.

Beef plate ribs are my preferred cut...
ribbone1_zps6b14b6c7.jpg

Back