Wagyu or CAB

SRF was getting too inconsistent. Even when you get a 18# brisket, it wold be so wide that the flat was still only an inch thick.

had those too.. so I've went with the 14-17. Ya know what would be nice? if someone came up with a wagyu injection:biggrin1:.. inject yer primes with it and it'll come out tasting and pulling like a wagyu

The reason (if anyone really gives a poop) I am thinking of going to all prime, is because my Costco is carrying them now.. at a mile from work, I can go in there at any time, and pick out the ones I want.. if there's a nice one, I'll buy it and freeze it.. if not... oh well... maybe next time.. Starting to make more logical sense to spend $70 on a brisket, than $150+ on one that might not be nice.

Costco in Indy only carries choice as of last week.

Guess I need to drive to KY for the better stuff.

We have been fortunate in the briskets we have got from SRF I guess. We had a couple Golds where the flats looked thin and when trimmed where decent .We are a newcomer to Waygu .Our problem is we are in a brisket wasteland here .I refuse to order Creekstone after the poor quality the last 2 yrs . Our Costco is getting primes but small . Its an hour to find any one with more then a couple to look at .UWP has a great selection unfortunately mostly Creekstone .
For what its worth we cooked a Gold and a standard and turned in the standard .

The basement dude has delivered some pretty nice briskets to me. I'll gladly pay extra for someone to hand select for me. SRF is fantastic product but sometimes its a crap shoot as to what shows up. One of my basement dude "gold" briskets:

not to go to off topic but any pointers where this "basement guy and gold briskets" can be found?

I think it's a great idea, but why not be honest about it? It's a selection service. Why put a picture of a Gold SRF Brisket on your website, and say you are selling "Gold" briskets, when what you are really doing is hand picking ungraded Imperial Wagyu and selling them at two different price points?

When "the dude" gets called out for doing that on Facebook, and your response is to ask Facebook to delete the whole thread, it makes the whole thing seem kind of shady. Personally, it makes me want to spend my money elsewhere.

:focus:

The real question is: Is there a new top of the brisket food chain? Is regular wagyu going to get the job done, or is SRF Gold or a hand picked "goldish" brisket the new normal? There are lots of "Is Wagyu worth it?" threads on here, and now we have a "CAB vs. Prime vs. Wagyu vs. Gold Wagyu" picture to consider.

I haven't cooked a Gold yet, but I will be.

care to mention where not to buy Waygu briskets from to save a brother some time, money and hassle? not trying to stir the pot but I work way to hard for my money to get less than what I paid for.

Hey guys - Shane with SRF throwing in my (jaded) 2 cents

If you're cooking at home or at a not-so-serious comp, then cook whatever kind of brisket YOU prefer. That can be wagyu, prime, CAB or select. If it tastes good to you, it doesn't matter how much it costs or what label is on it. It's a lot like my philosophy on wine - drink the cheapest stuff that you like. That line will be drawn at a different level for everyone, but find yours and roll with it.

In terms of serious competition, Wagyu is currently the leader. Last I checked, 9 of the top 10 teams in the nation were using wagyu (and SRF at at that). For whatever reason, that's the taste and texture profile that's winning comps. There's no question that it's possible for that to change, but it's the case right now. If you want to win comps, I suggest finding a Wagyu supplier that you trust an that can deliver you a consistent product. (we obviously think that's SRF, but that's the jaded part).

In terms of the original question - as mentioned, Wagyu will often cook faster than prime and I've seen it skip the stall altogether. Make sure you keep a close eye on it, up to 3-4 hours before you expect, just to make sure you don't ruin what's going to be a great piece of brisket. Best of luck in your comp!

care to mention where not to buy Waygu briskets from to save a brother some time, money and hassle? not trying to stir the pot but I work way to hard for my money to get less than what I paid for.

Since a few people have written to ask me, it's huntspoint.com.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SCI-Scandicrafts-Larding-Needle-Handle/dp/B001VJDVDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413508490&sr=8-1&keywords=larding+needle"]Amazon.com: SCI Scandicrafts Larding Needle with Wood Handle - 13 Inch: Kitchen Tools: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/317TrS8PKtL.@@AMEPARAM@@317TrS8PKtL[/ame]

I have not tried it
But.....

I dont know, I cook creekstone primes. Just one, hot and fast or low and slow, I usually do well

I learned that tip from here, cook one, its your baby.

Same here. I'm not spending over 200 bucks on a brisket.

Cooked a 17.4 LB gold SRF brisket this weekend and some simple observations.

There was no stall
Very little trimming required,
Edges were very flat but we trim for the box size so no real problems
Was superior to a CAB but have had better SRF briskets before the gold brand came along.I have no problem paying for a superior product, was hoping that was what the gold designation was doing; a little disappointed for what I got paying the premium for. If this was the gold I would hate to see what the standard was.

YES, WAGYU over CAB no doubt, just need to work out details on selection issues.

On a side note... tried the Rib Cap Gold... 20oz steak portion - :roll: Wow that is a life experience, you need a lot of extra cabbage lying around to justify that. However a very incredible product beyond expectation.... WOWZERS

Mike

Ive been buying imperial waygu from Huntspoint.com(dude in the basement??) and the briskets were great. Actually went thru BBQguru at Smoking Gnomes guidance. :) Each time I got a followup phone call from huntspoint before and after the order to make sure I was happy with the product. No complaints here. Plus Shipping from NYC to Long Island is alot less than it is from west coast.

Ive bought SRF, but dont like the idea thats its a crap shoot not knowing whats in the box. Ive gotten good ones, and also some that were unusable. Huntspoint will hand pick, and the customer service was excellent.

i'll keep using them, and I would not hesitate to try them if your looking. If your not happy with what you get, i think they will make good on it.

We've been cooking SRF Golds since July, and as others have said, it's hot or miss. We cooked a SRF Gold this weekend that was 20lbs and was probably the worst brisket I have ever got from them. The fat in the point was not as marbled as usual and there was a a bunch of rubbery veins of fat (the kind that will never render) in the flat. We were able to salvage the point, but the flat had some issues. We may have to go and try Huntspoint.

A choice brisket from wally world will ALWAYS outscore a Wagyu, if the choice brisket is on the TOA and the Wagyu is on the TOD.

I did about half choice and half SRF black label this year. Looking at my scores, the SRF averaged 1.6 pts. over the choice. Cost was not that much different because I normally cook two choice vs. one SRF. The SRF is very consistent in flavor, but I had a couple in the 15+ lb. range that had extremely thin flats. A good Wagyu is a beautiful thing, but paying $150 for a 3/4" flat is pretty disappointing.

CAB got me 1st place this weekend. $42 at sams. Butchers always let me hand pick through couple cases.

I did about half choice and half SRF black label this year. Looking at my scores, the SRF averaged 1.6 pts. over the choice. Cost was not that much different because I normally cook two choice vs. one SRF. The SRF is very consistent in flavor, but I had a couple in the 15+ lb. range that had extremely thin flats. A good Wagyu is a beautiful thing, but paying $150 for a 3/4" flat is pretty disappointing.

This is one thing holding me back from even trying it. Been hearing about thin flats from several teams.

Back