Go Natural or "un" Natural with competition meat

You have seen where your bbq lands, if you want to continue to toss money at it and say i feel good about my product fine, you already know the things to try, the decision is up to you.

its a moving target, some teams are able to hit the marks worst part is when you turn in exactly what you want and get kicked in the sack..

cook for the judges, not for you if you want a shot at anything.

Things I learned:
- use Wagyu. Went from middle of the pack to 6th in each contest I used a wagyu. Did not inject with anything. Used a pretty basic rub. Only sauced the burnt ends. Bingo, figured it out a bit.

Just curious, where did you get a wagyu brisket around here?

I am on the keep it natural side of this debate. Then again, we are always middle of the pack or worse, so there's that.

Am I stupid for not using it? Part of me wants to make bbq that is what I consider to be bbq. But te other part of me wants to win. I'm torn.

Thoughts??

Are you stupid for not using it? Only if that is based on an uniformed decision.

Try things side by side with what you do now and see what works best . . . FOR YOU!

As for the Natural vs Unnatural debate, when I buy my meets, they don't naturally come with salt and pepper.

The injections, meat glue, and phosphates dont bother me in the least. I think you can get calls either way. I personally like the way that butchers makes pork and beef taste.

At the end of the day competition bbq is about pleasing someone else. It isnt about what you want or what you think is the "true" bbq way or anything like that. It is about pleasing 24 strangers with a box of bbq.

We go totally "un-natural"...remember...you are cooking "one bite bbq"...besides...we don't eat the stuff! :becky:

Attachments

• amazon screen shot.jpg
    amazon screen shot.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
giphy.gif

Back