Home Made BBQ Sauce Recipe w/PRON

Iroquois

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Happy Columbus Day to all my BBQ Brethren! I do not use store bought BBQ sauce on my Ribs or Chicken because I was spoiled at a very young age by an amazing sauce that my Father came up with while he was stationed in Vietnam in the 60's. Only 4 people that I know of has this recipe, and that is My Father, Sister, me and my best friend in the world. I have kept it a secret for so long only because I had aspirations of marketing it some day. Well, I have decided that it isn't going to happen and want to share it with all of you. It is a very easy sauce to make, but it has a very unique flavor and quality in that it is not a sauce that you can just pour over your cooked product and eat it, rather it is a basting/mopping sauce that has to be slowly cooked on. For those who have a spicy rub that are looking for the perfect sweet/spicy balance, this is the sauce for that. I hope some of you try this some day and provide feedback either in a post or private message. ENJOY!

2 oz Butter
1 onion (minced)
1 clove Garlic (minced)
¼ cup Soy Sauce
¾ cup Sugar (can use brown sugar if desired)
¾ cup White Vinegar
¾ cup Ketchup
½ teaspoon Tabasco
½ teaspoon Ginger

Sauté the onions and garlic in butter until soft. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until slightly thickened.

After your product is about 30-45 minutes shy of being done on the smoker, brush the sauce on ribs or chicken over low heat on a grill or smoker. Continue to brush or mop the sauce on until product is done and the sauce is glazed and sticky. (I brush and turn, at least a 6 times)

*** BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET THE SAUCE BURN ON THE MEAT***

Here is a picture of my Father (Sisters and Brother) with that sauce in the early 70's cooking ribs and a couple of my pictures with Chicken and Ribs.

Attachments

• BBQ.jpg
    BBQ.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Old Comp3 1159.jpg
    Old Comp3 1159.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC02085.JPG
    DSC02085.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 329
Mmmmm, butter. Nom nom nom.
I'm definitely going to give this a shot on some wings!

BBQing with a martini. That is classy. Thanks for the recipe, I'll def give it a whirl!

Thanks for posting this and sharing. Great story, and love the pics as well! I will definitely be trying this.

Mighty nice gesture, I'll definitely give it a try. Your food looks awesome. :thumb:

Looks like something I'd like. Thanks for sharing. And that first picture is awesome... Doesn't get much better than that

Thanks for the recipe and that look back in time.

imHo, there has been no improvement on the folding aluminum lawn chair! Lightweight, space-saving, maintenance-free. :thumb:

Back