• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hanger Steak Tonight!

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Doing a little Hanger Steak marinated in sour orange and garlic leaning towards the hot sear method. I thought about a reverse sear but I don't know how that will work for hanger. The meat already has such rich flavor. Any thoughts....... opposing view points are welcomed.

Keep on Truckin!

My feeling on hangar steak is that because of how thin and tender it is, you can do a direct heat cook the entire time. It should take only 5 minutes or so to get to med-rare.

Actually, it is naturally tender and is very close to the liver internally on the steer. That is where it derives it's natural deep color and flavor. In the past it has been referred to as the Butcher's Tenderloin. They generally kept them for themselves as they didn't appear very pretty and there is only one, per side, per steer. IMHO they are marinated because most people don't like their mild liver type flavor. Thanks for you input. Not a real popular cut, but I love them!

I finally got my hands on one last month. S/P and hot n fast to rare over lump. Good eats! Over cook and it will get tough.

I have never seen them advertise here until above mentioned. It lives up to the hype as butchers steak and not bad price wise. The grain took me for a loop. I will definatly track down another one for sure.

Finale here
Castfortexmex013_zps374c7fa5.jpg

and the throwdown thread is here
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2426040#post2426040

Awesome! ..... I rarely see them around here except for a few of the real butcher shops.... I love em & they are priced right..... Nice Job!..... Looks Perfect!

That is a great looking piece of meat. Had it but never cooked it. Gonna go find some.

Dang you nailed it! Hanger steak has been on my list to cook for awhile now, this thread was just enough to push me over the edge. I'll be headed to the butcher shop this weekend to try and secure a couple of those. :mrgreen:

Looks awesome, I will definitely ask my butcher about one next time I am there!
The shop I use is a small place, I think they may be keeping them for themselves...

Thanks for sharing!!:thumb:

Back