• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

totally Raw/uncooked turn in @ Troy Pig Out, Troy NY, 7/20,14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurl

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello all.

I've been a CBJ for about 7 years (and a somewhat board troll) and this Sunday at the Troy Pig out in Try, NY something happened that I had never seen, nor had the reps or any of the other judges.

During the pork competition, my table had an entry that was just totally raw (uncooked at all) pork in the box.

After the shock of i,t we sat wondering why would a team turn that in. Some came up with all 2's for in edible is better than all 1's for being dq'd for no turn in or ot enough pieces, there were more than 6. And of course there where the more humorous thoughst of team members looking at each other saying "I though you put the butt on?

I was just wondering if any of the teams that were at the Pig Out had some in site on this, or if anyone else has seen something like this before?

Other than getting some great BBQ and never being able to finds outwhere it comes from due to the blind judging, not knowing a back story on this is killing me more.

Thanks,
Kevin

^ I, too, am interested in how it was presented.

I've seen a lot of crazy stuff put into boxes, but I've never been served anything that was completely uncooked.

no sauce, no rub/spices, and no garnish. Just fresh looking, totally raw pork, cut up into kebab size chunks in the box.

some thought maybe it was trimming scraps and someone grabbed the wrong box at turn in time. But it seemed like quality pieces, not trimmings and who would put their trimmings in a turn in box?

Looking at the KCBS event results sheet:

24 MFSMOKEYBBQ 139.4284
25 Darryll's Dirty Deeds 42.2400

Darrill seemed to have a bad day all around looking at the other categories. 8)

Never saw anything like that myself.

TIM

Need 25 teams to be a sanctioned event with all teams turning in 4 meats. This contest had exactly 25 so maybe that's why?

this is the best i have heard so far. I would just like to think if you have a cooker going for other meats why not at least try to cook it, maybe you get lucky

So I have no idea why someone would do that, but looking at the results this pops into mind.

Dont you need 25 entries in each category to be a qualifier? So if that pork team didnt turn in something then the contest was no longer a qualifier. Maybe they didnt want to do pork, something happened, whatever, but they needed to put something in a box to turn in so the contest could stay a qualifier.

this is the best i have heard so far. I would just like to think if you have a cooker going for other meats why not at least try to cook it, maybe you get lucky

I am going to go tin foil hat for a moment.

they have no intention of doing pork. didnt even bring pork.

someone finds out about it, does some quick math and figures that the contest will not be a qualifier if they dont turn in pork. So they provide that team with some pork to turn in.

could have our selves a real whodunnit on our hands.

Ha! My experience tells me that this is a conspiracy. I wonder who Darryl works for?

Trucky is spot on.

I was curious about the turn in rule and had actually discussed this with the Lovelys in Stamford last week. (They ran the Troy event, coincidentally.) You need 25 teams to turn in SOMETHING for it to count as a qualifier. It could be the wrong meat. You could put hot dogs in the box. You could put one piece of meat in the box. If there aren't 25 turn ins though, the contest will NOT be a qualifier.

Since Troy was exactly at 25 teams, it wouldn't surprise me if they were warned about this at the cook's meeting - with exactly 25 teams it was important that everyone turn SOMETHING in on time. I am sure that Matt and Sledneck are happy that a team turned in raw pork instead of nothing at all. I'm sure that team was turning something it to make it a qualifier, and just decided to have a little fun with it. A box with any piece of protein in it would have done the trick.

I think the way the qualifiers work is kind of unfair in that regard. If you win a contest with 25 teams, and one team is 3 seconds late on a turn in, your win doesn't count. If they hand in, say, raw pork it does. Personally, I think if 25 teams actually show up for the event it should count.

It could be argued that the intentionally sham entry will not make that contest a qualifier. From the Jack rules recently put out:
Established contests that have a “state championship” proclamation must have a minimum of 25 competing teams. Teams must have cooked, turned-in, and been judged in the required categories.

Ooops. Cooking didn't happen, and it could be concluded that judging didn't happen if no one sampled/evaluated the raw-meat entry.

This kind of crap is exactly why that wording regarding qualifiers had to be changed. There was one contest we heard of where a single beef rib portion was put into a container to try to slide it as a "brisket" entry. Uh, no.

Trucky is spot on.

I was curious about the turn in rule and had actually discussed this with the Lovelys in Stamford last week. (They ran the Troy event, coincidentally.) You need 25 teams to turn in SOMETHING for it to count as a qualifier. It could be the wrong meat. You could put hot dogs in the box. You could put one piece of meat in the box. If there aren't 25 turn ins though, the contest will NOT be a qualifier.

Since Troy was exactly at 25 teams, it wouldn't surprise me if they were warned about this at the cook's meeting - with exactly 25 teams it was important that everyone turn SOMETHING in on time. I am sure that Matt and Sledneck are happy that a team turned in raw pork instead of nothing at all. I'm sure that team was turning something it to make it a qualifier, and just decided to have a little fun with it. A box with any piece of protein in it would have done the trick.

I think the way the qualifiers work is kind of unfair in that regard. If you win a contest with 25 teams, and one team is 3 seconds late on a turn in, your win doesn't count. If they hand in, say, raw pork it does. Personally, I think if 25 teams actually show up for the event it should count.

I guess it depends on where the line is drawn, or how much you are willing to allow it to be bent. There are cases where equipment has been pooled, or somebody cooked chicken on a kettle, or some cooks contributed leftover meat to be turned in etc...

No matter where it's drawn, there will be one or more people that will test it.

<snip>

I judged a contest this spring that the brisket entry was late, the rep brought it to the table, table captain gave us all the numbers, (including the late entry), and the rep instructed us to give it all 1's and write on the back of the card "Late Entry". So it was actually scored and a score of 20 showed up on the results page.

Edit to add: I just check, there were 25 teams at that contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back