• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thermowand review

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score

I'm not going to be overly critical of a cheap therm but here's my report.

Loaded up ice in water got me 32 on the dot. Boiling I got 209 and change which for my altitude is only about 1 degree off.

Response time 3 seconds I was in the ball park but 4-5 seconds was accurate.

My test results were similar, but I got 211 & change on the boiling water test. It was hard to time as it settled in so fast, but it was faster than I need on anything I have used mine on so far. I can not see the justification of the higher priced Thermopen. I am not knocking the Thermopen, as I have never had one, but for the money I am very satisfied with the performance of my Thermowand.

That said, I do wish it had a "hold" button to hold the temp until I have a chance to read it away from the hot food. Maybe I am just slow, and I know my eyes ain't what they used to be! :shock:

Omar

Here's one through Amazon. Looks like $25 pre-shipping.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Accurate-Splash-Resistant-High-Performance-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHXVQ"]Amazon.com: Ultra Fast & Accurate, Splash-Resistant, High-Performance Digital Food/BBQ Thermometer - Lavatools Thermowand® (Chipotle): Instant Read Thermometers: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jHUs5azgL.@@AMEPARAM@@41jHUs5azgL[/ame]

Thanks for this. I have wanted a Thermopen for a while now, but could not justify the price to my wife. I just ordered one of these on amazon and I am sure she won't get ticked at me for it.

After I kept breaking my cheap therms, I finally ordered a Thermapen. After my wife saw how it worked, she decided to borrow it for candy making duty during the holidays. Then she demanded a pink one of her own. Subsequently, my oldest daughter came to the house to help make pralines for Christmas. Now she has two of her own and she is buying her little sister one for her birthday. Totally cool with her husband since he is a total BBQ freak. He cooks everything direct in a horizontal barrel grill, but his ribs & brisket are every bit as good as mine cooked in the big offset with controller.

Last edited:
There's always the Thermopop for $29. Almost as fast as a thermapen and don't have to sacrifice quality.

Just curious. I bought (2) Thermowands for $51 total with free shipping. Both read 32 and some change in an ice bath, both read 211 and some change in boiling water. Both read on an average of 4-5 seconds or faster. So what quality did I sacrafice, hope I didn't make a mistake with my purchase...

Just curious. I bought (2) Thermowands for $51 total with free shipping. Both read 32 and some change in an ice bath, both read 211 and some change in boiling water. Both read on an average of 4-5 seconds or faster. So what quality did I sacrafice, hope I didn't make a mistake with my purchase...

Only time will tell if you sacrificed quality by purchasing the Thermowand. I got one a few weeks ago and so far it's great. Very fast and accurate.

According to the company's website: "We are proud to offer a limited lifetime warranty against any technical or firmware defects." Not sure what limited means but I assume if you don't do anything too crazy with it, they will send you a replacement. Anyone have any experience with how they stand behind their warranty?

Only time will tell if you sacrificed quality by purchasing the Thermowand. I got one a few weeks ago and so far it's great. Very fast and accurate.

According to the company's website: "We are proud to offer a limited lifetime warranty against any technical or firmware defects." Not sure what limited means but I assume if you don't do anything too crazy with it, they will send you a replacement. Anyone have any experience with how they stand behind their warranty?

I read a review where a buyer had a problem with his, that was caused by the buyer, and not a mfg defect. He contacted the mfg, and they sent him a new one right out without asking for the old one first. He did return the broken one according to his review. Sounds like good customer service to me.

Omar

That seems like a great price and the reviews make it comparable to the Thermapen. I'll be ordering one since I've never been able to justify buying the overpriced Thermopen.

OK, that was my only concern. That means they have the more advanced and accurate thermocouple circuit. Nothing wrong with that.

Back