Why is pulled pork so hit or miss?

I know of a couple of BBQ restaurants that have Good BBQ, and they always make theirs fresh everyday. The others seem to hold theirs and it is either overcooked or undercooked. I rarely get BBQ or Brisket at BBQ restaurants. I go for the burger and standby Mac and Cheese to play it safe. I think that most people rightfully believe that they can make it a home just as good or better and it will be fresh and properly cooked.

Though pulled pork is the most forgiving it is also prepared in so many different ways. I'm pretty sure you're tasting some vinegar in the PP if it is from the east.

I guess I'm a little different on this because when we travel I always look for the most talked about BBQ joints! I want to see what the seasonings and sauces are like in other States and have found many variations of flavor. I could not try these here in Kansas as everyone here seems to have built theirs off the same recipe but added something extra to make it their own!! I don't put that much into the meats as I do the sauces and seasonings. I have been to local joints that are great one day and the next you can't chew the meat off the rib bone! I know many of you are competition cooks so you see all the different styles but us back yard folk need to experience the differences to make our Q better!!

Rick!!

I've found that the most unreliable YELP reviews are those of BBQ restaurants. I think those of us who can/do make BBQ at home have a much different standard than the general public.

I've found some decent Que in local BBQ restaurants, and I am almost sure to try out when a new one pops up locally.

I find that the worst BBQ, and particularly pulled pork, is when a non-BBQ restaurant puts BBQ on the menu.

I travel all over the US for work. I am from Texas, so I prefer Texas/Oklahoma/KC style BBQ. I know there are slight differences between the 3, but generally, you can get decent pork, ribs, or brisket in this region.

Obviously, the more east you go, the less and less beef you see, which is fine. When pulled pork is good, it is really good. Most places I have been to seem to have a weird twang to it. It is hard to describe, but it doesn't taste like anything I have had in Texas, and nothing like at home, even re-heated. This is without sauce, mind you.

I have had pulled pork all over Alabama, Tennessee, and the Carolinas and hae only found a hand full of places where I didn't feel like I got ripped off. I usually use Yelp and Google Maps and go to the highly reviewed places.

Any other road warriors feel the same way?

I'm with you.. The further East I go the less I like the pork. Along with the Sour twang, I sometimes wonder if it was really smoked. Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas seem to be the best. At least to me..

Don't know where you all are getting your Q but McDonalds McRib sandwich is out of this world! Now we're talking Q!!!!

Oh and don't forget Arby's brisket sandwich......3 yums up :thumb:

I think it's a combination of a couple things. First, BBQ joints I've tried are hit or miss no matter where I've ate and that includes west texas, Oklahoma and KC.

But the biggest thing is the regional differences. If you're raised enjoying the subtle flavor of pork with a kiss of smoke your gonna hate the in you face chewing on charcoal flavor that somebody else thinks is fantastic.

And that doesn't even touch on what people like on or NOT on their food.

bbq more then other food is hard to keep fresh. Most restaurants hate to throw out food so if you don't move a lot of meat they try and reuse the next day.thats why the real good bbq joint make a certain amount of meat then close when they are out.this is why I don't have a brick and mortar place.

bbq more then other food is hard to keep fresh. Most restaurants hate to throw out food so if you don't move a lot of meat they try and reuse the next day.thats why the real good bbq joint make a certain amount of meat then close when they are out.this is why I don't have a brick and mortar place.

Pretty much exactly this. Because not all q joints are like a Franklins where they sell out of everything every day and don't have to worry about re-using. Holding bbq isn't easy and estimating quantities to cook can be an exercise in futility, but it can be done. So one of main reasons the pork might not be as good or dry is many places re-heat leftover so you might not actually be getting pork cooked for that day.

It's not like a burger joint that can fire a fresh patty for each order and hold fresh meat for an extra day that doesn't get used and it be just as good. BBQ is a different animal for a restaurant.

Brisket is not hard to keep at all, as long you slice to order. Pork on the other hand doesn't keep well. I hate reheated pulled pork,,,,even if it's my own.

Brisket is not hard to keep at all, as long you slice to order. Pork on the other hand doesn't keep well. I hate reheated pulled pork,,,,even if it's my own.

I agree. The only way I look forward to reheated pulled pork is if it's been foodsavered quickly after it's done and as long as brisket stays in one piece it'll taste pretty good.

But, IMO the worst of the worst is reheated smoked half-chicken. The wings take on the flavor of sardines. We stopped by a Big Bob Gibson in Monroe, NC and MAN the first thing that hit me was the smokey sardine flavor of my chicken and her pulled pork was as dry as a popcorn fart. It is no shock that I heard it was closed recently. LOL

Back