• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) Question

Well to be fair the powder coating seems to make a difference in holding rock steady temps from what I gather.

Well to be fair the powder coating seems to make a difference in holding rock steady temps from what I gather.

I don't see how that would be any better than regular high heat paint. Powder coat isn't insulating it so the rock steady temps are more likely due to the smaller drum size and the gauge of the steel.

I don't see how that would be any better than regular high heat paint. Powder coat isn't insulating it so the rock steady temps are more likely due to the smaller drum size and the gauge of the steel.

There are many reasons why manufacturers choose to powder coat their products. These include making the products resistant to chipping and abrasion; providing resistance to chemicals and corrosion; providing a decorative, impact-resistant finish; adding electrical or thermal insulation; providing resistance to ultraviolet light; and adding sound-deadening properties.

http://www.jobshop.com/techinfo/papers/powdercoating3.shtml

Why, not trying to be a PITA, just trying to figure out the sudden love for the PBC

Here are some reasons (I think):

1. Value: it is prob the most inexpensive finished-complete smoker/cooker/grilled (whatever you want to call it) @ $225 shipped) that you can buy today and turn out EXCELLENT food on Friday when it arrives to you.

2. simplicity: there is no learning curve.

3. zero set up - you open the box, and you're ready to cook.

4. value- the price of $225 really hooked me. It is cheap money for this cooker. Ive seen others post the same.

, it seems to be no different than an UDS. /

Great observation & point, Both are a steel drum. Period. You can modify one to work like the other, not modify at all, or whatever else you prefer.

Actually, all of the controversy PBC vs UDS is what lead me to investigate the PBC and realize what a bargain it was at $225 shipped if I calculated the cost of parts for a UDS and paid myself my normal hourly wage to find the materials and build one.

But, ill continue to keep an eye out for a 15 gal stainless steel drum on the cheap & if I get lucky ill build a uds someday. Definitely interested in the uds.

There are many reasons why manufacturers choose to powder coat their products. These include making the products resistant to chipping and abrasion; providing resistance to chemicals and corrosion; providing a decorative, impact-resistant finish; adding electrical or thermal insulation; providing resistance to ultraviolet light; and adding sound-deadening properties.

http://www.jobshop.com/techinfo/papers/powdercoating3.shtml

Okay fair enough. I still don't think the powder coat truly insulates the entire cooker in the traditional sense. Could it help? Sure but I'll put more blue chips on it being mostly because of the smaller size of the drum. There is less air that the fire has to heat and can heat the air that is there faster and more evenly. Just my opinion.

Here are some reasons (I think):

But, ill continue to keep an eye out for a 15 gal stainless steel drum on the cheap & if I get lucky ill build a uds someday. Definitely interested in the uds.

what is exact size of a 15 gal stainless steel drum, diameter and height?

Okay fair enough. I still don't think the powder coat truly insulates the entire cooker in the traditional sense. Could it help? Sure but I'll put more blue chips on it being mostly because of the smaller size of the drum. There is less air that the fire has to heat and can heat the air that is there faster and more evenly. Just my opinion.

I would have a disclaimer and say its your opinion at the beginning of your post, lots of people reading your post will think you are stating that as fact. Its good to backup what you say with proof instead of opinion alone.

Fact: powder coating does provide thermal insulation.

Opinion: the smaller size and gauge of the steel provides the insulation.

Just curious, do you even know the actual gauge of the steel on the PBC to be even making that statement?

Thanks for the response. I am having a real Hard time trying to understand the difference between the UDS and the PBC??? It just seems the only difference is the name. Matter of fact, understanding air flow, and exhaust there is very little difference between the two.

Couldn't agree with you more. I don't get why there is a flurry of PBC threads either.

I guess it is a standardized cooker that appeals to folks who are unable to build a UDS for whatever reason? I find it hard to imagine that cost is one of those reasons though. A UDS can be built pretty cheaply, definitely less than $225, unless you are going for an SS drum or fancy graphics.

Folks who built a drum would probably find it easy enough to add some holes, rebar, and hooks to find out if the hanging meat really cooks differently from the usual lay-it-on-the-grate method.

Oh well, maybe I'll learn something new.

Couldn't agree with you more. I don't get why there is a flurry of PBC threads either.

I guess it is a standardized cooker that appeals to folks who are unable to build a UDS for whatever reason? I find it hard to imagine that cost is one of those reasons though. A UDS can be built pretty cheaply, definitely less than $225, unless you are going for an SS drum or fancy graphics.

Folks who built a drum would probably find it easy enough to add some holes, rebar, and hooks to find out if the hanging meat really cooks differently from the usual lay-it-on-the-grate method.

Oh well, maybe I'll learn something new.

From threads ive been reading the PBC seems to be the 'set it and forget it' type of cooker. The maker has taken a lot of the guess work out of cooking on it and that seems to be the major appeal.

The main difference I see in the PBC and UDS is powder coating, besides that they are essential the same except for the drum size. Anyone can add rebars and a couple of holes for hanging but you would need to take it to someone for powder coating.

It's new and the grilling.com coupon code made it more affordable, so many members are just getting them. When the UDS concept was new there was a flurry of thread about them, when the Akorn was new there was a flurry of thread about them, etc.

Sorry it wasn't at the beginning. Didn't know that would make a difference. Most readers read the ENTIRE post before they respond to it.

I would have a disclaimer and say its your opinion at the beginning of your post, lots of people reading your post will think you are stating that as fact. Its good to backup what you say with proof instead of opinion alone.

Fact: powder coating does provide thermal insulation.

Opinion: the smaller size and gauge of the steel provides the insulation.

Just curious, do you even know the actual gauge of the steel on the PBC to be even making that statement?

Though powder coating provides insulation, it isn't the sole factor that makes the PBC's temp so stable. I was just stating MY OPINION (and still am) as to what I think the other clues to the puzzle MIGHT be, which again, were the gauge of the steel (which no, I don't specifically know off hand. It is still thicker than most other cheapo offsets or ECBs and is the same as my other UDS regardless of what gauge it specifically is.) and the 30 gal size. Just my opinion yet again. :mmph:

Not trying to start any chit, just a little disgruntled...

(Sorry to hijack.)

This is the post I was talking about that needed the disclaimer. It doesnt sound like opinion, you basically stated that powder coating does not provide thermal insulation when it actually does. Then you go on to say that its the gauge of the steel when you dont even know what gauge of steel is actually on the PBC.

Would it be fair to say you are talking out of turn and that my replies were warranted?

I think the nice layer of gunk inside the barrel walls help stabilize temps and also insulate as well.

This is the post I was talking about that needed the disclaimer. It doesnt sound like opinion, you basically stated that powder coating does not provide thermal insulation when it actually does. Then you go on to say that its the gauge of the steel when you dont even know what gauge of steel is actually on the PBC.

Would it be fair to say you are talking out of turn and that my replies were warranted?

In the sense of BBQing this is insulating.
c9d93f33aab8daa0717f92c760b6bf34.jpg

Not to say powder coat isn't used to insulate it.

On the flip of the coin too, can you prove that its the powder coat that insulates it and makes the temps so rock steady?? That is what you originally posted was it not? I simply gave you feedback saying, and sorry for not clarifying that it was my opinion and not fact, that in the sense of BBQing, powder coat may not be insulating the PBC, or since you corrected me, may not be doing it well. I was saying that there are other factors to consider whether they be factually supportable or not. That is the jist of what I was trying to get at. I guess I failed.

Last edited:
It's new and the grilling.com coupon code made it more affordable, so many members are just getting them. When the UDS concept was new there was a flurry of thread about them, when the Akorn was new there was a flurry of thread about them, etc.

True. There were many many threads about the tamale pot mini WSM for quite some time. But all of those were pretty radical (IMO) cookers... and at reasonable price points. The PBC is the UDS redux, but I can see how many folks would like the "set it and forget it" factor.

Actually, I think there is a difference between a 55 gallon drum UDS and a 30 gallon drum UDS. The simple difference of the ratio of height to diameter makes a difference. And I would like a PBC, but, I simply do not have time or space to justify one, despite that coupon. And the cool pig logo.

Actually, I think there is a difference between a 55 gallon drum UDS and a 30 gallon drum UDS. The simple difference of the ratio of height to diameter makes a difference. And I would like a PBC, but, I simply do not have time or space to justify one, despite that coupon. And the cool pig logo.

I knew it would happen if I hung around here long enough... a light bulb just went off in my head!

You're absolutely right - different size cookers do cook differently. My midi drum cooks differently from my 55gal UDS. Since 30 gal drums are really hard to find (in Texas at least - I had to buy my 30gal drum online), buying a prefab PBC makes sense. I don't think I realized that the size was 30gal. That's a great size for a cooker - not too big, not too small.

Back