• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Will Entitlement kill competition BBQ?

Gowan

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I ran across the video today of the ex-CBJ who quit because he wasn't getting free T-shirts. If you haven't seen it yet, it is here: [ame]http://youtu.be/efZig1P3ZVE[/ame]

Watching this brought to the top of my mind something that has been bothering me for a while - the rise of this feeling of entitlement in the competition BBQ world. Mind you, it's not exclusive to judges either.

As an organizer, I encounter more and more folks who believe the contest owes them something: the travelling teams that won't cook an event without big prize money, the cook who want more power and/or space than is stated your application, master judges who expect priority selection, newly minted CBJ's who believe they should get a seat because they sent their application in early, etc. etc.

A decade ago, competition BBQ felt like a weekly family reunion where everybody worked together to have a good time. Now days it seems like we have a larger share of creepy uncles and bitchy mother-in-laws crashing the party than we used to. Or maybe it's just me getting old and cranky?

What do you think?

Oh, and stay off my lawn, you rotten kids! <fist shake>

Personally I'm GLAD that he isn't judging anymore!
We don't need that type of judge in the tent!

It's NOT what can the organizer or REPs do for the individual, it's what can I do for the organizer or REPs!!!

There a few "bad" judges out there, but there are also a HELL of a lot of "good" judges out there also!!!

Hopefully, with the new "re-certification"/education that KCBS is implementing the bad ones will go away!

I would say 'No, entitlement will not end competition BBQ'.

There are A LOT of excellent BBQ judges out there! This guy is just one of the judges with the wrong attitude. Here's the comment I left on the YouTube video:

"Something that I believe you've lost track of (OR - maybe never even knew in the first place) is that BBQ competitions are FUNDRAISERS for community organizations! BBQ judges are VOLUNTEERS -
You have the wrong attitude there, buddy.
I'm GLAD you're not judging any more."

HA! that just made me laugh ! thanks civilwarbbq ! And no, I think your comps. will be just fine. Although I did see the humor and the truth in your creepy uncle and bitchy mother in law statement... LOL..... Keep yer head up. All is well.

and where the hell is my shirt ?!!!!!!

he's a beer reviewer now.....i'll have to find those. hilarious.

To me it sounds like he believes BBQ comps went from a bunch of friends(cooks and judges) getting together and enjoying the weekend too a over commercialized event with large payouts(where judges and cooks are not intermingling, and money is more important then friendships). I do have some of the same feelings, as a few BBQ teams show up as late as they can, stay in their camp without socializing, and bail out as soon as possible after awards, also the majority of judges do sort of the same thing. The competition attitude has got too serious, which is understandable due to the cost of competing now days.

''the travelling teams that won't cook an event without big prize money''

I dont see the issue with this. BBQ isnt cheap and travel is one of the costs. It doesn't make sense to spend $1000 plus on a event when the GC is 1500 and a category win is $500 or less. Especially with all the big rigs/trailers/setups that are prevalent these days.

I don't think the above comment has anything to do with entitlement. It just common sense.

If you need a t-shirt or a filled cooler to judge, stay home. If you can't listen to the damn CD and think its judging rules actually apply to you, stay home.

If you can't measure your RV/trailer's fully-extended footprint or understand what its power requirements are, state them honestly, and abide by those when you arrive to the contest, stay home. If you can't show up to a contest, act like a pro without constant handholding, and leave your space clean when you go, stay home.

If you think contests with prize money are too serious, organize a "BBQ get-together/happy hour/old home weekend".

There, have I pissed off enough people yet? It's a gift.

That having been said, I don't think entitlement will kill competition BBQ. Some extravaganzas may scale back, there may be some shakedowns when people get tired of dealing with all of the above, but there is a large core group of really good people who make this all worthwhile.

If you need a t-shirt or a filled cooler to judge, stay home. If you can't listen to the damn CD and think its judging rules actually apply to you, stay home.

If you can't measure your RV/trailer's fully-extended footprint or understand what its power requirements are, state them honestly, and abide by those when you arrive to the contest, stay home. If you can't show up to a contest, act like a pro without constant handholding, and leave your space clean when you go, stay home.

If you think contests with prize money are too serious, organize a "BBQ get-together/happy hour/old home weekend".

There, have I pissed off enough people yet? It's a gift.

And this is why I love this crazy woman ! Now as far as encouraging my wife to live in Arizona that's another story .

That having been said, I don't think entitlement will kill competition BBQ. Some extravaganzas may scale back, there may be some shakedowns when people get tired of dealing with all of the above, but there is a large core group of really good people who make this all worthwhile.

And this is why I love this crazy woman ! Now as far as encouraging my wife to live in Arizona that's another story .

If they are paying appearance fees I'm out.

Interesting comments when viewing via Youtube.

Edit: Did I say that out loud?

To me it sounds like he believes BBQ comps went from a bunch of friends(cooks and judges) getting together and enjoying the weekend too a over commercialized event with large payouts(where judges and cooks are not intermingling, and money is more important then friendships). I do have some of the same feelings, as a few BBQ teams show up as late as they can, stay in their camp without socializing, and bail out as soon as possible after awards, also the majority of judges do sort of the same thing. The competition attitude has got too serious, which is understandable due to the cost of competing now days.

You do realize that teams are competing at a professional level for money don't you? You should understand that it is a professional competition first and social event second.

You do realize that teams are competing at a professional level for money don't you? You should understand that it is a professional competition first and social event second.

I think he gets that, what he is voicing is that once upon a time it used to be the other way around. To an extent, I guess I would agree.

Back