• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Squirrel

fantomlord

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
suggestions on what to do with it? Neighbor gave me a bunch.

We have wheat and milk allergies in our house, so no crockpot in cream of whatever soup recipes, please.

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

I cook them in my UDS.
Brine them in Oakridge Game Changer, sprinkle on some Plowboys Yardbird.
Smoke them for an hour, or until they get a nice color.
Wrap them in foil with some butter and onions.
Cook until tender.
Moist and tasty!

Can't say that (to my knowledge) I've had squirrel before... but I'd be willing to try any of the above suggestions if I come upon some.

Well, I've had rabbit and I think that is technically a big rodent. Not sure if I could do squirrel but I've see some posts on it in the last couple months I think. Post some pics of the cook and let us know how it comes out!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely post a cook thread when I get around to doing them

I smoke them for maybe 30-45mins then wrap with a little liquid and maybe another hour. They literally taste like chicken.

I usually split it into 5 pieces, 4 legs quarters and the middle section, then I'll simmer until tender in stock, let the pieces cool. Then you can grill it up quickly and glaze or sauce it, or one of my fav things is to dredge it and fry it then toss in your favorite wing sauce, Spicy buffalo squirrel with blue cheese and a cold beer is definitely good eats!! Also if you like offal the hearts and livers are delicious sautéed in butter.

I hope the guy skinned them for you because a squirrel that has been dead a few hours is a real pita to pull the britches off of. I've ate squirrel for decades and love the taste but hate skinning them. They do not taste like anything else I've ever ate,esp chicken,not even close. It is very important to know if it's less than or over 1 year old. There is no difference in taste,just toughness of meat. If it has already been skinned,it is very difficult to tell the difference other than less than 6 months old is noticably smaller. If female has suckled young,consider her old. Males with balls covered in hair same color and texture of belly is young. An older male's ball sac is nearly hairless and black skinned. If your method of cooking doesn't involve boiling,boil old meat before proceeding. A simple way is making dumplings same as chicken. The most fool proof I've found is boil meat tender,season with salt and pepper then dump in saltine crackers and simmer 15 additional minutes. My favorite is young pieces rolled in seasoned flower then browned in oil over low heat under lid. As with any food,it can be a matter of opinion but 90% of people I grew up with agree squirrel isn't at it's best when smoked. Not that squirrel taste's like liver but if you have ate smoked beef liver you get the idea. Older people or those with dulled taste love it smoked.

Me too!

I will say though his advice on squirrels is spot on. I hunted them hard as a kid, any meat for the table was always welcome.

Back