Maverick 732/733 SUCKS

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Told my Wife I want a Smoke by Thermoworks for my BDay next month
I've bought atleast 8 probes in last 2 years - 4 of them the "Good" Ones

I agree, I've bought 2 complete units. And both are marginal.

Thermoworks does have 15% off right now. First time I have seen the smoke on sale since it's release. Ordered one for myself.

On the Maverick I must of gotten lucky. I have never had an issue with mine or the probes

Nothing lasts forever.

My Dot probe crapped out *just* now. Did a pork shoulder -everything fine...pulled the probe, cleaned it off to start a pork loin in the oven... in out of the fridge meat, it's reading 160. New batteries- still reading 160.

I got a couple of years out of it- not complaining- I just don't have a back up- never needed one.

I thought the LLL meant it was below minimum temp or are you talking about the - - -?

No issues with mine...I want a Smoke, but will wait for my Maverick to die.

Get the Smoke. Period.

Mine has been on since 6 this morning. Much easier to operate and understand. I will say the distance for the remote is a slightly less than my 733 but not much plus much easier to adjust settings, etc. It works. Get it.

After spending some money in super-duper thermometers, I realized that it's not worth it.
I usually do a lot of L&S and indirect, with temperatures that are lower than 350 F
So I decided to buy 2-3 IKEA thermometers. Here I can found them at something close to 7 €, means 8 $ roughly.
They works good, they last more or less one year.
When they don't work, I buy another one. Simply. No issues, no displeasure.... I always have a thermometer as spare in my bbq box

Buy a meater?

Dont take this the wrong way but probe failure is generally a user error issue

My Maverick was an experience of pure frustration and constant probe failures. Of course the only customer service Maverick has will tell you to buy new probes. My 2nd set of probes I was very careful with... baby'd them like crazy and they still lasted maybe a month or two before they became erratic. I would get huge 100 degree swings in 10 seconds or two probes an inch apart would read 150-200 degrees different. I think I got through 3 sets of probes before I moved to the iGrill 2.

Loved my iGrill 2 and I had no problems with it for the first year or so. About 18 months in I started getting "ghost probes" where the unit would register a temp of 554F in channels where I didn't have any probes inserted. Then probes started to fail, but at least I got a solid 18 months out of that which was a massive upgrade from my Maverick.

I picked up the Thermoworks Smoke probably 6-7 months ago and so far it has been pleasant and simple. Probes work well and are a bit "beefier" than the Maverick and the iGrill and the unit is very solid. I've dropped it quite a few times (damned magnet catches me off guard sometimes) and it has stood up to the drops every time. The best thing is I have confidence in the Smoke which I certainly did not in the Maverick.

I have a Maverick 732 and it's been solid for over 2 years.......no probe failures, no muss, no fuss.

I've been using a Mav et-732 for close to 4yrs no problems. I had a Smoke delivered on Thursday haven't pulled it out of the box yet.

I've had a Maverick for 2 years with no issues. However, I've heard a lot of stories of people having probe issues. I'm tempted to get a Smoke but can't justify it since the Maverick works great. I'll spend the money on meat instead. :-D

"Dont take this the wrong way but probe failure is generally a user error issue"

What is the wrong way to take it? It's fact . Excepting the Chinese circuit boards, the probe IS the weak link of the system. It only makes sense that no matter how careful you are: Not crimping the leads, making sure that liquid does not get into the inside of the probe body, coiling it lovingly and storing it in a zippy bag after each cook, not subjecting it to temps beyond its specs - eventually it will give up the ghost. Best way to make it last forever is never to take it out of the box- that will make it sort of difficult to use but hey... "forever" is a long time.

Told my Wife I want a Smoke by Thermoworks for my BDay next month
I've bought atleast 8 probes in last 2 years - 4 of them the "Good" Ones

I have used Mavericks for the past few years, going through several generations and only God knows how many replacement probes.

My birthday was in November right after the Smoke was released.

This is where my Maverick stuff is currently.

d4a0f6a96ffd5ab40fb146676bfe2cd4.jpg

I've had my Maverick ET-732 for maybe 3 years now -
no complaints so far.

The first thing I did when I took the probes out of
the box was seal the cable-probe connections with RTV
silicon sealer. A few weeks later one probe spent the
night at the bottom of my sous vide water oven. Shook
the water off, dried it in a low oven, it still reads the
same as the other (dry) probe.

Back