• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Germany and Barvaria

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Germany and Bavaria

Starting to pack for a trip to Germany and Bavaria.

Landing in Frankfurt, then going to Ramstein-Miesenbach, Stuttgart, Weisbaden, and then onto Bavaria.

Any recommendations in any of these towns for good food, doesn't have to be BBQ, just good food????

I'm also hoping to meet up with Brethren Mr.Osat on my way back from Bavaria to the Ramstein-Miesenbach area. Still trying to finalize the plans.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
Ramstein Area:

Alt Landstuhl

This was a favorite during our years in the 37th Airlift Squadron, and served as our final meal before departing Germany.

Chateau Briand, with the fixin's... and house wine, served in pewter goblets. It's a must.

We've taken friends there who didn't join us for the Chateau Briand, and their menu choices were excellent, as well.

Taormina - Amazing Italian grub. Highly recommend the four cheese risotto (even if it's not on the menu) and the white bean salad.

Desert - Eiscafe Dolomiti - You're not going to go wrong here. Seriously. From just a scoop of really delicious eis, to some ridiculous treat for the family... just go, and worry about the carbs later.

Bob, you've taken us down memory lane. We've had a good time batting ideas and memories and flavors back and forth while I write this.

Go have a grand time, and hollar if you happen to make it down towards Garmisch. We've got a whole other set of ideas and suggestions in that case.

Thanks Marc,

I've been looking these up online, looking forward to visiting them.... Thank you for your recommendations, suggestions, explanations and your time to break them down into categories for me..

Ramstein Area:

Alt Landstuhl

This was a favorite during our years in the 37th Airlift Squadron, and served as our final meal before departing Germany.

Chateau Briand, with the fixin's... and house wine, served in pewter goblets. It's a must.

We've taken friends there who didn't join us for the Chateau Briand, and their menu choices were excellent, as well.

Taormina - Amazing Italian grub. Highly recommend the four cheese risotto (even if it's not on the menu) and the white bean salad.

Desert - Eiscafe Dolomiti - You're not going to go wrong here. Seriously. From just a scoop of really delicious eis, to some ridiculous treat for the family... just go, and worry about the carbs later.

Bob, you've taken us down memory lane. We've had a good time batting ideas and memories and flavors back and forth while I write this.

Go have a grand time, and hollar if you happen to make it down towards Garmisch. We've got a whole other set of ideas and suggestions in that case.

Last edited:
I don't really know any spots, but I love the donor kebabs, fries, and chicken you can get from the imbisses along the streets all through Germany. I'm sure you already know sausage is a thing there - even the ones you get at the gas stations are very good. Have a great trip - I'm jealous!

Time is getting short, and some plans have been made - So far our agenda is as follows
Arrive in Frankfurt Gemany
Breakfast at Mille Fleur
Travel to Ramstein
Lunch
Eiscafe Dolomiti - Thanks Shadow
Weisbaden for dinner
Neuschwanstein
Königssee
Mondsee Salt Mines
Wedding in Berchtesgaden
Eagles Nest Tour and Brunch
Königssee Lake Trip
Salzburg
Ramstein
Dinner at Alt Landstuhl - Thanks Shaddow
Rhine River Cruise
Heidlberg
Strasbourg
Ramstein
Frankfurt - Depart Germany

And I'll be looking for donner kabobs and sausage stands as GTR suggestsed - Thanks GTR

Wow. You're about to put some miles and time in the car, Bob.

If I said I wasn't envious, I'd be untruthful.

Ramstein - Get a kebab at the shop near the MCSS (Military Clothing Supply Store). I prefer in a wrap with feta (bread is nice, but it's crusty and tough to put down... wrap is softer and is just as tasty. Feta!? Yes. You want feta cheese.) Christ... it's been a LONG time, and I'm envious!

Salzburg, Austria to Ramstein, Germany!? Whew... that's a haul, brother.

I've done the Rhine River Cruise as a child (seriously... 1st grade) and twice as an adult... just do what makes sense and feels right. Relax. You're pushing really hard from how I read your timeline. The food on the boats was great when we had it... and the bier was kalt und lecker. Enjoy. Recharge.

Alt Landstuhl - Make reservations! I'm not joking.

Heidelberg Castle is a great opportunity. After that, come back down and grab a cab or mosey to the main street... BossLady and I just had a LONG conversation about our remembering a night or two at what we THINK was the Dubliner on Hauptstrasse. We remember meeting a young Army Cpl on R&R in about '04... and we tried to steer him towards good food nad bev and warm welcome... only to discover him back at the pub 2 days later singing our praises (oh, what have we done). Good kid. Sent him back to war with good memories.

Safe travels, Bob.

You're kind to run your plans through the Brethren.... just know how jealous we are.

Enjoy!

That's quite the itinerary! I've been to, and enjoyed a few of those places. I ate at one great place in Heidlberg when we were there last. They served massive amounts of sausage on huge wooden platters, but that was a dozen years ago. In Germany, it is hard to go wrong with food. I really can't recall getting a bad meal. Most of my bad-meal experiences when traveling occurred in France.

Boarding the plane in the morning, will post pictures on our journey if I am able, otherwise I'll post when I return.

I did make Arrangements to meet up with Brethren Mr.Oisat when I am in the Heidelberg / Strausbourg area.

Currently in Garmish at the Edelweiss Resort Lodge ( military r&r at the Kassern ) Beautiful Country.

Can't post pictures yet as the network connection isn't secure...

Edit:
Just arrived in Bavaria. - Kongsee

Last edited:
I was in Munich and Ingolstadt in February. I ate at this little mom & pop Italian restaurant in downtown Ingolstadt and it was incredible. When the guys I was with suggested Italian, it took me a minute...I said "Why on earth would I eat Italian in Germany?!?".....then I realized we were only a few hours away from Italy (d'oh!). Enjoy your trip!

Well, I woke up today with intentions of posting pictures of our 2 week trip.

Sadly photo bucket has blocked the display of images to other sites, such as the BBQ-Brethren.Com....

Looking for an alternative to post pictures.

We arrived in Frankfurt Germany early Monday morning: (no pics, just a large busy city I didn't want to get lost in).

Our first order of the day was to visit Ramstein AB to buy toiletries (at a reasonable price) that we could not bring due to weight limitations on baggage, we also exchanged our dollars for Euros.
enhance

We went to our hotel in Kaiserslatten and settled in. Made a trip to visit a friend in Weisbaden.
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Then we ate at an Italian Restaurant with a unique concept, fast food Italian. They have homemade pasta already measured, you order your pasta type/dish and they drop into boiling water. While the pasta cooks for a minute, they heat your sauce/type in the pan, toss the pasta in the pan with the sauce, plate it and top it with more sauce. Their salads are also out of this world.
enhance

Pasta Bolognese
enhance

Carpaccio
enhance

Pasta Carbonara
enhance

Visited the Eis Cafe Ricalto for homemade Ice Cream
enhance

Awesome Ice Cream - so many choices
enhance

Spaghetti Eis - Straws of Vanilla Ice Cream, topped with Strawberry Puree, and Cookie Crumbs to resemble "spaghetti"
enhance

Day 2 we traveld to Garmish in the Barvarian Alps, stopped in Stuttgart along the way. Stuttgart is a city nestled in a bowl surrounded completely by mountains.
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We roomed at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort at US Army Garrison/Panzer Kassern in the Alps for the night. Such a beautiful view.
enhance

enhance

enhance

Day 3 Hiked the Partnach Gorge that was cut through the mountian by glacier waters, finally reaching the summit where the mountian snow slowly melts.
enhance

enhance

enhance

Stopped for food and drink in the biergarten, Brots and Beer
enhance

Then we traveled to Bierchgarten Barvaria and took a room at a lodge Just below the famed WW II German Eagles Nest.

To be continued.....

Last edited:
Lovely pictures! Looks like a great time. Very jealous. Lived in Germany for 3 years as a small child (Army Brat) and have always wanted to go back.

What did you do to get past Photo Bucket issue?*****EDIT********* I see this an issue being addressed in the main forum.

Last edited:
Lovely pictures! Looks like a great time. Very jealous. Lived in Germany for 3 years as a small child (Army Brat) and have always wanted to go back.

Thank You... I was stationed in Germany 44 years ago. I wasn't crazy about going back, except to visit my son who is now stationed there. Yes progress can be a good thing, We really enjoyed all aspects of the trip.

All I can say is; if you have a chance to go back, seize the opportunity!!!

What did you do to get past Photo Bucket issue?*****EDIT********* I see this an issue being addressed in the main forum.

I started to download my photos and PhotoBucket locked them and I couldn't download any more. That wasn't a problem as I do have them on a hot swap disk. I just uploaded them to shutterfly and posted them, hopefully they will be safe there for awhile.

Stayed at Edileweis Lodge and Resort a few times and Berchtesgaden as well, my Great Grandmother and Grandfather were born in Salzburg which as you know is about a 30 minute drive from Berchtesgaden. Have distant relatives my mother stays in contact with that still live there, breathtaking beautiful city.

Thank you for sharing your trip.

Last edited:
Back