logo

Galveston, TX. Tell me about it

Kyle Hasty

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Headed down to Galveston this weekend for a good old family vacation. Obviously I would like any info on Q around there but would also like to hear of any other places/attractions that you guys may know of. We are staying in the Jamaica Beach area and will be there a week. Thanks for any help.

I would try and make it over to the Strand.
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/galveston-strand.html

http://www.discovergalvestontexas.com/blog/events-and-news/galveston-july-events.aspx

If you are into planes, go to the Lone Star Flight Museum. If you really have the right stuff, take a ride in
a Stearman. The pilot will give you a nice view of the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.lonestarflight.org/aircraft/boeing-pt-17-stearman
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/b...-Museum-offers-free-admission-on-11289687.php

No knowledge concerning the BBQ on the island. Fifty mile drive
into Houston if you are trying to chase some down.
Good luck,

Last edited:
Boy it's gonna be hot. It's been a few years since I've been down there but here's what I remember.

• Good burgers at The Spot
  • The Kemah Boardwalk is a fun place to go walk around at night when the sun goes down. Plenty of places to eat, things to do or just people watch.
  • I did most of my shore fishing at St. Luis pass down the road from Jamaica Beach - there was a bait shop along the way somewhere.
  • You can drive on the beaches in Texas. They're considered a public highway. Know what you're doing or you'll get stuck. There's usually a compacted "road" of sand to the water and then you drive close to the water where the sand is nice and compact.
  • Never had Que down there. I'm sure there's good Que but I concentrated on the seafood. If you're driving I would concentrate more on where you can stop for Que coming or going. Lots of good places in Houston, Austin and Dallas.
  • You can go to the docks where the fishing boats come in and buy from their little shops. I usually bring a big cooler and fill up while I'm there.

Not aware of any BBQ either. LA kings for ice cream, mosquito cafe for breakfast.

Galveston the beach where we used to run I clean my gun and dream of galveston

You can drive on some not all beaches. Be careful at San Luis Pass. Extreme currents there. It seems that somebody drowns there every weekend.

Not sure on BBQ but good seafood. Guidos is an old school very well known Galveston establishment. If you never been there, go. Cajun Greek is very good. A lot of people love Shrimp and Stuff. Rudy & Paco's is at the top of the list quality and price wise.

For burgers the Spot is a good place. Great hang as well. Cafe Michael burger is good too.

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. Seafood is definitely at the top of the list. We have BGE and Chargriller grill at the place we are staying so we can make our own Q and seafood, when we aren't out eating other seafood! Couple days fishing, couple days golf will be nice. A burger at the Spot will also be on the list. Thanks again

If you decide to drive into Houston, watch your speed on I-45 (Gulf Freeway). Little towns like La Marque, TX. are notarious from extracting dollars from your wallet. Some have no tolerance speed limits.
Good Luck,

Headed down to Galveston this weekend for a good old family vacation. Obviously I would like any info on Q around there but would also like to hear of any other places/attractions that you guys may know of. We are staying in the Jamaica Beach area and will be there a week. Thanks for any help.

Bring sunscreen, bug spray, and a gun.

For BBQ drive 40 minutes to Pearland for Killen's BBQ. Worth the trip.

For BBQ drive 40 minutes to Pearland for Killen's BBQ. Worth the trip.

I saw their branded Kosher Salt & Black Pepper at Buc-ees in Texas City. Thought it was the most ridiculous thing you can buy for $10 (8 oz of S&P).

Back