Mesquite charcoal

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I bought a 40# bag of Mesquite charcoal. I usually use Kingsford and add Oak chunks when cooking. My question is when you use wood charcoal do you use it through the whole cook? I don't want it to be to strong.

Are you talking about Kingsford Mesquite? Ive used Kingsford Hickory for grilling steaks. Cats ass. I like it. I get em white hot and pop the steaks on. I usually buy whole rib eyes and get them cut 1&1/4", vac seal and freeze 2 to a pack. I only grill those babies over charcoal and I usually get some of the "flavored" Kingsford for the job.

I like the mesquite stuff for grilling. Never really used it for smoking....Seems like it would be tough to fit into the papers......:rolleyes:

Norcoredneck said:
I bought a 40# bag of Mesquite charcoal. I usually use Kingsford and add Oak chunks when cooking. My question is when you use wood charcoal do you use it through the whole cook? I don't want it to be to strong.

Many moons ago when I moved from wood to charcoal it was mesquite lump that I started with. I still use it on almost all of my brisket cooks and most of my shoulder cooks. Lazarri is the best deal here in Wyoming at around $9 for a 20# bag. I still add wood for smoke, just not as much as say when I use RO lump. The only problem is sometimes the chunks of mesquite are large and need to be broken down.

e0f115ac.jpg

thirdeye said:
Many moons ago when I moved from wood to charcoal it was mesquite lump that I started with. I still use it on almost all of my brisket cooks and most of my shoulder cooks. Lazarri is the best deal here in Wyoming at around $9 for a 20# bag. I still add wood for smoke, just not as much as say when I use RO lump. The only problem is sometimes the chunks of mesquite are large and need to be broken down.

e0f115ac.jpg

MAN THAT IS SOME BIG CHUNKS OF LUMP WHAT WAS THE BRAND AND CAN A GUY GET IT IN NEBRASKA I WONDER.

Scott, if 3rdEye got mesquite in Wyoming, you should be able to get it Nebraska.

Norcoredneck said:

Do you like the taste and smell of mesquite? I'll use the Kingsford for steaks, and sometimes chicken, but I get enough of the flavor in a hot and fast cook that I'm not certain I'd want to try it for a long cook.

we'll smoke u said:
MAN THAT IS SOME BIG CHUNKS OF LUMP WHAT WAS THE BRAND AND CAN A GUY GET IT IN NEBRASKA I WONDER.

That is the Lazarri brand. Some of those big dudes are in each bag. I have a separate bag that I sort them into and save them for my BDS. Most Safeway stores carry the 10# bags, but the one on my end of town carry the 20#ers. My Safeway's standard stocking order is 6 bags per week, but they are very cool about ordering extra 20# bags for me with no additional charge.

flaming wood

I found mesquite lump seems to flame up more...great for grilling but smoking with it is fire management at best!

The bag says Mesquite lump charcoal. Managers special 10.99 40# bag. Smart & Final.

Greg Kemp said:
I found mesquite lump seems to flame up more...great for grilling but smoking with it is fire management at best!

Well it does burn hotter, and it is sparky when lighting, so for lo-n-slo cooks I just start a smaller fire. But once the vent settings are correct, that stuff just chugs along. Did you try it in your Egg or just the Weber?

thirdeye said:
That is the Lazarri brand. Some of those big dudes are in each bag. I have a separate bag that I sort them into and save them for my BDS. Most Safeway stores carry the 10# bags, but the one on my end of town carry the 20#ers. My Safeway's standard stocking order is 6 bags per week, but they are very cool about ordering extra 20# bags for me with no additional charge.

THANKS THIRDEYE

thirdeye said:
Well it does burn hotter, and it is sparky when lighting, so for lo-n-slo cooks I just start a smaller fire. But once the vent settings are correct, that stuff just chugs along. Did you try it in your Egg or just the Weber?
i haven't tried mesquite lump but it being "sparky when lighting" is something that i've experienced with everyone brand of lump i've tried (ro, humphrey's, cowboy, bge). the sparks die down as the fire gets going.

my theory is that its caused by humitity but who knows.

Norcoredneck said:

If you are talking about the big Best of the West bag of mesquite lump, I use it all of the time both in competition and at home. It won't overpower anything. Toss in some hickory chunks with it.

Norcoredneck said:
The bag says Mesquite lump charcoal. Managers special 10.99 40# bag. Smart & Final.

That's where I get mine. Big brown bag, right? You will be fine. Light some in a chimney at night. You will have a mini fireworks show!

I've discovered that I like it better than the kingsford in my barrel.

brian j said:
i haven't tried mesquite lump but it being "sparky when lighting" is something that i've experienced with everyone brand of lump i've tried (ro, humphrey's, cowboy, bge). the sparks die down as the fire gets going. my theory is that its caused by humitity but who knows.

Well, compairing the "sparkiness" of mesquite lump to Cowboy & BGE (which is RO) is like compairing beer to whiskey. I light up my cookers with a weed burner and when I light up the mesquite I wear safety glasses. That chit can explode too.

Like Bigmista said, fireworks show! But I still like it.

backyardchef said:
I like the mesquite stuff for grilling. Never really used it for smoking....Seems like it would be tough to fit into the papers......:rolleyes:

Sunday Edition of the local paper. Use the sales ads for rollers. The flashy coated kind are best.

Cheech and Chong Mod.

Last edited:
Big brown bag. Anyone in So Cal watch the sunday evening news. Lots of dry grass out here. Firestorm at 11:00, just kidding. Thanks for the warning.
fire-grinning.gif

JohnMcD348 said:
Sunday Edition of the local paper. Use the sales ads for rollers. The flashy coatred kind are best.

Boy OH Boy, could I fix u up!!!!!:wink: :lol:

H.M. Lawrence
Assist. Distribution Manager
The State Newspaper

Greg Kemp said:
Greg, what lump do you use in your egg for smoking.. i have been useing the BGE but a 20# is $29.95 a bag. from were i got my egg.. any ideas..

Back