• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comp cooking with gas?

QN

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For the upcoming KCBS board meeting;
Proposed rule - Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets, charcoal or propane/LP gas.
Interesting....

I see they also are going to doom the comment cards.
TC will point out any suspicious card and Rep will cull it and send to KCBS office to start the dreaded 3 strike process.
What judge will take a chance of a strike by filling out a comment card?
Ed

I see they also are going to doom the comment cards.
TC will point out any suspicious card and Rep will cull it and send to KCBS office to start the dreaded 3 strike process.
What judge will take a chance of a strike by filling out a comment card?
Ed

7a9e9ccba6dd895871c4aa0e8ea1874e4e336369c03047e268c20747667070f7.jpg

The title for this thread was Comp Cooking with Gas. There are other threads about comment cards and other gripes and complaints about judges, etc. My intent was to have some discussion about the pros and cons of allowing gas fired cookers to compete at KCBS sanctioned contests. In the past there have been contests that allowed gas, but they were deemed to be Competitor Series events. Maybe it doesn't really matter and any fuel source should be allowed including gas, electric, or whatever else. How about I cook chicken on my Coleman camp stove? It is fired by LP gas. Would that be a legal entry if LP gas is allowed as a fuel source?

Personally, I would welcome the expansion of cooking methods, as it should come down to the quality of the product entered.

A concern, however, would be the possible interpretation of allowing propane to include RV stoves. That wouldn't be within the spirit of the rule, but a potential "legal" interpretation.

Pretty soon, competitors will unload nothing but a bunch of cambros. There will not be any need for cookers as long as their entries stay warm.

The title for this thread was Comp Cooking with Gas. There are other threads about comment cards and other gripes and complaints about judges, etc. My intent was to have some discussion about the pros and cons of allowing gas fired cookers to compete at KCBS sanctioned contests. In the past there have been contests that allowed gas, but they were deemed to be Competitor Series events. Maybe it doesn't really matter and any fuel source should be allowed including gas, electric, or whatever else. How about I cook chicken on my Coleman camp stove? It is fired by LP gas. Would that be a legal entry if LP gas is allowed as a fuel source?

Pardon me, the main subject involved information about an upcoming KCBS BOD meeting and my comment was inline with the very same article in the Bullsheet. If you wish to set a more narrow parameter to your thread you should spell out exactly the only thing you wish to communicate about.
Ed

I was originally thinking that this was to protect the people who use propane stoves to heat sauces. There has been some discussion saying that if you put any of your meat into a pan that is being heated by propane, then it is against the rules.

But reading the whole discussion, it's clear they want to be able to attract teams who cook on propane and probably the real reason........sponsors!

Thanks for the heads up. Going to check and see if the sous vide oven is available during the Amazon Prime day. Just in case of course.

The idea of a gas fueled smoker/grill brings to mind images of someone cooking in the backyard on their old Weber gas grill....doesn't seem so bad. Then you start to realize that competition cooks tend to take things to extremes and it is just a matter of time (not much time) before someone bolts a $10K gas powered CombiOven to a trailer and starts using it at BBQ competitions. Maybe there is a plan to distinguish between an oven and a gas fueled smoker that I don't see in this proposal but I don't think the intent is for people to start roasting meat in the oven, adding some sauce and turning it in.

But reading the whole discussion, it's clear they want to be able to attract teams who cook on propane and probably the real reason........sponsors!

I'd say yes: "This should be a board decision and not a committee decision. Should the board approve, it should/can go to committee to clean up wording. By allowing LP Gas, this will open up more opportunity for the ancillary categories to have more involvement by true “backyard” teams. This will also open up the opportunity for sponsorship opportunities to both KCBS and organizers. This was discussed in the membership committee and major concern was safety. By requiring safety devices, this should lessen concerns."

Pardon me, the main subject involved information about an upcoming KCBS BOD meeting and my comment was inline with the very same article in the Bullsheet. If you wish to set a more narrow parameter to your thread you should spell out exactly the only thing you wish to communicate about.
Ed

Sorry, but the main subject was "Comp cooking with gas?"
It is clearly stated as such in the title block for this thread.

So people can just strap a gas stove to the trailer and go compete? Whats next a cake walk? Lol sorry they might as well just make it run what ya brung because that seems to be where its all going anyways.

Back