Not BBQ - CheeseSteak Challenge Philly

The bread is awesome and really make the foundation of the cheese steak. Great sandwiches at both places.

If you walk a few blocks down the street there is a little bitty place called Paisano's. Yes I have been to Pat's and Yes I have been to Geno's-----was highly disappointed at both. I can get better Philly Cheese Steak in California. I have concluded that the 2 places with the most hype were full of tourists---and the podunk place was full of locals. I don't like tourist traps-----but if I am within an hour of Philadelphia---I am going to Paisanos. In a side not there were several "Gluten Free" people at Paisano's that were overjoyed that awesome Gluten Free bread was available also

Been to Pat's and Geno's and the Explorer's Den.

It is the bread. Hands down.

i've had pats, genos, and tony lukes. pat's was my fav. followed by tony lukes. i also had the roast pork sandwich at tony lukes and that was great, i gotta try dinick's next time i'm down there

Roast Pork, Sharp Provolone, Broccoli Rabe, at Tony Luke's, Sliced Ribeye Cheese-steak at Genos, two classics for the South Philly experience.

Pudges in BlueBell, or the original which moved to Kulpsville, on the northeast extension are great. I try to hit them once a week since I live here. There is a local "cheesesteak" book that lists most of the long run steakhouses. My go to...."Cheesesteak(american) with sauce, fried onions on the side.... oh, by the way, dont order a large.....lol

I ate lots of cheesesteaks while attending Temple U. My favorite spot, though, was Lee's House of Hoagies of Horsham, across the street from Willow Grove NAS.

Been a philly guy my whole life.
There are soooo many cheesesteak places in philly and the surrounding area, all great and all distinctively different. Same goes for roast pork and hoagies.
Literally 100's of places. It's totally subjective as to which is the best and everyone has their favorites.
Same goes for bread and quite a few places offer choices of bread. Also be careful when you go,one of the most popular bakery's is closed on Mondays.

Back