I wanted to post a few pictures of my uds that I have been working on. I know a UDS is suppose to be quick, dirty and cheap. That is just not in my blood to do. I first got the idea from a plan online posted by Popular Science.

The barrel is an unline Trick Racing fuel drum. The only downside the lid was crimped on. No biggie I have tools and ground off the lip. I found a 22.5" Weber on CL for the lid and the cooking grate.

I didn't like the way the lid sat on the drum, just was just a hair smaller in diameter to fit well. So, I took a strip of 1" x **1/8" flat stock and spot welded along the inside.

I really liked the vents extended up towards the top of the drum. But what I really like was the electrical conduit hanger idea. This makes is look really clean.

I wasn't too keen on just setting the drum on a set of fire bricks so I built a stand. I got the idea from malibuskier, but with a few minor modifications.

I took it to a local powder coating company and had them blast it inside and out. I was first going to use high temp engine paint, but the rattle can look just didn't sit well with me. So I opted for a quart of Rustoleum glossy black and shoot it through my gravity HVLP spray gun, let's hope it keeps up with the temperatures. Mounted up a couple of planks of oak, put on a little stain and then topped it off with spar varnish.

Nice rig! Got a question here about using some scrap conduit pipe for intake? Would this be OK, I would weld it up. Got my drum and a weber lid to start rock in and Rollin! My first time posting cause I'm tired of reading. This forum rocks!
Cory

Never mind, I found some chunks of iron pipe to use instead. Will post pictures soon, gonna give it a test run.

Been tracking this forum in total for awhile and I have built my UDS but one thing I don't like is the U bolt holding the 3/4" black pipe and ball ball valve. I see in above post and previous posts there is a conduit hanger that threads into a threaded rod but I I can't seem to find this particular item. I see other hangers just not those. What's the specific term for these types of hangers.

This is the start of my UDS build

15122603345_339d3031a7_b.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my use just getting er going! Will see how it performs!

Attachments

• uds.jpg
    uds.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 781
Phew! I've made it through most of this bad boy and I think I'm ready to go.

Anybody in DFW have a good barrel source/ extra barrel laying around?:pray:

I've been looking on CL, tried calling a few places online, no luck.

I'll start a UDS build thread and probably be asking some questions in here. This thread is awesome!

Thanks

This Question I cannot find the answer to. If I buy a new black 55 gal drum do I need to paint the outside with the high temp paint or will the black handle about 350 degrees without peeling.
One more question. Will regular oil based enamel hold on the drum to about 350 degrees or will it start peeling.

This Question I cannot find the answer to. If I buy a new black 55 gal drum do I need to paint the outside with the high temp paint or will the black handle about 350 degrees without peeling.
One more question. Will regular oil based enamel hold on the drum to about 350 degrees or will it start peeling.

I used a new painted barrel and the paint hasn't been affected going to 400°.

I would use high temp paint if you plan to paint it yourself. There are a lot of colors available.

I left the original paint on mine. It didn't peel but it did brown slightly. I moved it in after using it so when it tilted back the basket slid back against the side. So if it would have cooled with the fire basket in the center, the browning probably wouldn't have happened.

It depends. During a normal cook, the outside of the drum will never get too hot to put your hand on. If it does, you've done something wrong...

When you do do something wrong (like leave the lid off when you are trying to get a fire lit - or if you leave the lid off too long when you are trying to smoke hot) - you can mess with the paint higher up on the sides.

I have stock paint, but it is slightly discolored from a mistake.

Just finished my UDS...Looking for a cover for it and am wondering what you guys suggest. Thanks Randy

Lowes sells one that will cover about 3/4 of it, I use it on mine and it keeps all water out. I think it was about $9. Sorry can't remember the brand, but you will know it when you see the package.

Back