Anyone familiar with Dickey's? Opinions?

they had put up a dickeys in fort worth down the street from Cousin's BBQ(been around since 1983)....I think the dickeys lasted less than a year...I went in a few times cuz I had various friends wanting to try it so I just went along...every time it was awful....DRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY....and just not smokey at all and its expensive....horrible place don't waste your time

I grew up in Dallas in the late 70's a block away from the Dickeys, and I can tell you I had some of the best barbecue I have ever eaten in their backyard on 4th of July parties and block parties.

The original restaurant on Henderson they kept a pretty good eye on and was always okay, but does not have a real pit like the great central Texas places have. The rest of the chain I wouldn't go into having high expectations. They are on a rapid expansion push, which is probably a bad sign for quality. I don't have high expectations go into ANY chain barbecue restaurant.

Before I'd had good BBQ I thought Dickeys and Famous Dave's were both great. Since I've discovered what good BBQ can taste like, I find both of those places...tolerable.

seems wike a chain saying it has great BBQ should have great BBQ, otherwise it's a waste of time for you and them.

Have one about 15mins away. Not too bad but hit or miss. Also not my first choice. Try it let us know your thoughts.

The dickeys in my area is pretty much below average and I am being nice. It seems to me these franchise bbq restaurants cook with commercial electric cookers with little to no smoke flavor. In my area There is a Dickeys, a Dave's, and a whole hog bbq restaurant and non of them cook over a wood fired pit. We do have a couple of "real BBQ" places here and they are the most popular.

Funny thing. We talked with the guy in charge of Dickey's franchises and he stated they all used Ole Hickory pits.

However, I saw the same electric that Jim saw at a local Dickey's.

We have a Dickey's Barbecue going up nearby. I'm not familiar with them. Yes, I know they are a chain but passable BBQ in southeast PA is hard to come by unless I do it myself. I'm familiar with Famous Dave's and didn't think they were too bad. Not great, just not too bad. How does Dickey's compare?

Bhasplamy dickeys just closed down here because BBQ was awful!

Dickey's started in Dallas. I wasn't around back in the 1940's, so I don't know wheter it was as good as they claim it was.

Today, it is just another chain BBQ joint.

When I am dragged there, I get a loaded baked potato. Hard to mess that up.

Texas BBQ is centered on brisket, and Dickey's brisket is dry and tough.

CD

I have to agree with the others. There was a Dickey's that lasted about 6 mths here. The place was sold and another owner opened it back up. The second time around lasted maybe 3 mths.
I've never eaten at Dickey's so I can say how their food was. But what I can say is ever time I passed, no one was in the parking lot or in the place eating. I pulled in one time and couldn't see or smell any smoke so I decided to pass.
Guess my assumptions were right as the place is now closed.

I've been to Dickey's once and will not go back. Tasteless mushy food, shorted an entree on our takeout order, unresponsive management when we called the restaurant on the short order.

There have been several threads on here about Dickey's. One thing I have noticed is that they do not seem to last if there is decent BBQ around. If good BBQ is less available and people don't have an awareness of what BBQ should be (my area) they seem to last longer.

Stingy with portions but charge you for a feast. Food is so-so at best. I'd go if it were there and the only other choices were fast food joints but if I never have their food again I'm ok with that.

I wouldn't have it again. I've had it twice and both times I asked myself, why? Unfortunately nothing to look forward too.

Back