BlueDawg Brisket Day

TexasRT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Trying it for the first time. The Guru has my UDS rolling along @ 285-300, meat is on and I'm in a holding pattern. Kinda of different cooking at these temps (I'm normally 250 guy for brisket). I just had to try it.

Same here. Getting ready to throw one on. Seems strange not getting up super early and cooking one all day. Hot and Fast only seems to impact the bark as far as I can tell. Tenderness is there along with the flavor

Once we get our stick burner will have to go back to cooking slow.

Same here. Getting ready to throw one on. Seems strange not getting up super early and cooking one all day. Hot and Fast only seems to impact the bark as far as I can tell. Tenderness is there along with the flavor

Once we get our stick burner will have to go back to cooking slow.

Yep it's different like you say. What do you mean by impact the bark?

When we do hot and fast on brisket. It's a couple of hours in the smoke and then wrapped in foil a couple of hours at the same temp and then rest for a couple of hours. It seems to me not as crunchy as one that smokes all day not ever being wrapped.

Are you planning on wrapping today?

I've had good success with smaller flats in the 8 -9 # range with this method.

When we do hot and fast on brisket. It's a couple of hours in the smoke and then wrapped in foil a couple of hours at the same temp and then rest for a couple of hours. It seems to me not as crunchy as one that smokes all day not ever being wrapped.

Yes I'm wrapping in butcher paper @ 4 hours per the instructions. It was a 12.5lb full before doing a little trimming. The only thing I'm changing is the rub I used. Everyone talks highly of the method so I'm going by the law, lol.

If you are doing a bludawg brisket, better kick taht temperature up to 300-325 or it will take a tad longer than 6 hours.

dump the foil got to butcher paper I cook at 300+ be it Stick Burner or UDS. seems to me 300 deg F is 300 Deg F no matter how ya git there

I think you will be pleased. Get some pics later and let us know how it turned out

I'm getting ready to get mine going. Just need to time it right for dinner

If you are doing a bludawg brisket, better kick taht temperature up to 300-325 or it will take a tad longer than 6 hours.

It's been holding steady at 290, I'll see if I can get some more out of it.
I'm using my smaller BPS basket instead of my bigger one, the Guru is working to maintain 290. Started with a completely full basket with hickory chunks.

dump the foil got to butcher paper I cook at 300+ be it Stick Burner or UDS. seems to me 300 deg F is 300 Deg F no matter how ya git there

Where does one find this butcher paper? It's not the same as the meat comes in that has the wax liner is it?

Where does one find this butcher paper? It's not the same as the meat comes in that has the wax liner is it?

No, don't use the wax coated stuff. I've seen alot of people on here using either butch paper or the kraft paper that Hobby Lobby sells. This will be my first time using paper, but I've been wanting to try it too.

I think you will be pleased. Get some pics later and let us know how it turned out

I'm getting ready to get mine going. Just need to time it right for dinner

Good luck and enjoy. I'm having a poker game this afternoon so I'll have some critics.

4 hours in and it's wrapped in paper. If I knew how to post prons I would, but it looks great.
Good bark and color.

Note: Not sure how tough butch paper is, but the kraft paper seems pretty light weight.

Back