UDS...How many ball valves...?

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm picking up my 55-gallon drum next week, and am thinking ahead.

Is one ball valve sufficient for the air intake, considering I prefer "hot and fast" smoking, and want to burn straight wood, too, at times. What size ball valve, and how many? Maybe there is a better, less expensive option than ball valves?

Yup the slider vents... but do 2 of them and space them a good distance apart, this will help getting even burns in your basket.

Another method is using 2) 1 1/2" pipe elbows with magnets. Place the elbows around 90 deg's to each other for a more even burn. The magnets don't allow water/snow to get in, are very easy to adjust by hand/foot. The 90's don't allow wind/snow to blow in and affect/spike your temps. Also you get a great visual of where you have the opening set to without bending over like a slider. Since you mention burning pure wood at times, you will need both intake vents depending on what temp you want. You will also want a total of 4" exhaust for clean burning.

Removable fatman option for when not requiring high temp cooks.

Typically all stand pipes and some ball valves restrict air flow.

IMO -Ball valves suck- go with sliders. Make them if you are handy- buy them if you aren't. Good luck on your build- you will love the UDS.

Ball valves work best with "extenders"

assembly.jpg

valvebracket.jpg

standoff.jpg

You really only need one ball valve, the others can just be holes or short nipples with caps. You can get any temp adjustment with this set up that you could get with 3 ball valves.

I use a full flow ball valve and weld in 2 nipples and just put caps on them and take the cap off when I need extra air.

I used 3 capped nipples plus 1 ball valve, can maintain any temp all day.

I use a full flow ball valve and weld in 2 nipples and just put caps on them and take the cap off when I need extra air.

THIS.

There will likely be a need for more than one air intake, but no need for more than one valve. If you need more air than one, just open up one of the caps and then continue to use the valve to regulate the total intake.

So if you need 1.5 nipples open, just have one cap off and the valve 1/2 open. Need more air? Open the valve a little more.

The valves are expensive (I use at least 3/4" nipples/valves.....1" is better). No need to buy more than one since the caps will work for the additional nipples.

Mine (and every one I've built) has 3 nipples total. 1 with a valve and 2 with caps.

Air inlets

On my UDS I run 3 x 3/4" holes with magnets as covers and 1 x 3/4" pipe 2.5 ' up side with a 1 " gate valve so can fine tune with the count of turns. For exaust I use a 2" x 6 " high pipe wide open. This workes for me for the sea leveal we are at. DouG M

Back