Creekstone Farms Ribs & Pork Butt

To RabidDog and Rtboswell.. So, it seems you all had some decent competition quality racks out of the group of racks you had sent to you.. My questions are: what percentage of these ribs were competition quality, and does that higher price justify that then?

The 4 racks I got in my original order were all comp worthy no throw aways. All were equally thick. On rack wasn't as wide but I didn't care The taste was excellent. I have used swift, seaboard, farmland and IBP in the past I am tired of the throw away racks and sifting through multiple cases. I have ordered a case of 8 and I plan on using 2 racks per contest.

Now that I've looked at the pictures (more than once), did you notice any differences in moisture or texture between the two types? Did the Duroc cook more quickly than the commodity ribs?

Cooking time was materially similar to the commodity. I was not a fan of the moisture level, but again these were not as thick as I prefer (and see note above re: anticipated mediocrity of cook). I can bring y'all a frozen rack to Cornelia to take home and try out (one of the thicker ones), if you'd like to try them out before committing to a case.

Cooking time was materially similar to the commodity. I was not a fan of the moisture level, but again these were not as thick as I prefer (and see note above re: anticipated mediocrity of cook). I can bring y'all a frozen rack to Cornelia to take home and try out (one of the thicker ones), if you'd like to try them out before committing to a case.

I already ordered a case :becky::crazy:, but thank you for the offer!

I'm curious to see what we find in our box when it gets here.

For what it's worth...

I hadn't been happy with my results using the Duroc pork. So this weekend I did a side by side comparison at home. I noticed no flavor difference and texture wise I thought the "commodity" ribs were better. My conclusion is that I woud rather have a meaty commodity rib than a hit or miss mail order specialty brand.

I find Duroc ribs needs cooked a little different than commodity ribs......:wink:

They might want to consider sending along instructions with the ribs, if they want to expand their customer base beyond those "in the know." :wink:

I'm giving the remaining few of my racks away to a buddy who wants them because they're all-natural/no hormones or antibiotics added, and he makes some sort of healthy bone broth with the leftover bones from that kind of meat.

They might want to consider sending along instructions with the ribs, if they want to expand their customer base beyond those "in the know." :wink:

I'm giving the remaining few of my racks away to a buddy who wants them because they're all-natural/no hormones or antibiotics added, and he makes some sort of healthy bone broth with the leftover bones from that kind of meat.

I'd doubt a supplier would know chit about competition BBQ or how to cook it.:grin::grin:
Now if a fellow cook was to bring me a Margarita on Friday evening and ask for a few pointers, heck I've been known to be friendly. As far as telling the whole country via forum what I may have learned from cooking a season with them, I'm not that friendly.:hand:

I've placed 2nd, 4th, 5th in the last three contests with Duroc ribs, sure wish I was your buddy.:razz:

I have cooked them a couple different ways and they are just something I am not comfortable with.

I'd doubt a supplier would know chit about competition BBQ or how to cook it.:grin::grin:
Now if a fellow cook was to bring me a Margarita on Friday evening and ask for a few pointers, heck I've been known to be friendly. As far as telling the whole country via forum what I may have learned from cooking a season with them, I'm not that friendly.:hand:

I've placed 2nd, 4th, 5th in the last three contests with Duroc ribs, sure wish I was your buddy.:razz:

If the ribs wouldn't be thawed and the margarita melted by the time they made it to Missouri, I'd be glad to share both! :mrgreen:

The biggest problem that I had with them and had to learn to over come was the back of the bones blowing out of the meat.

Yes, this last cook I cooked them at a lot lower temp to help prevent that. I think if I had a source where I could pick them out for myself they "might" be something I could use. However having to mail order them and "hope" I get good ones is not worth the price/risk. I also didn't notice that much of a noticeable different in flavor. That is the thing about BBQ what works for one guy doesn't mean it will work for the next.

Yes, this last cook I cooked them at a lot lower temp to help prevent that. I think if I had a source where I could pick them out for myself they "might" be something I could use. However having to mail order them and "hope" I get good ones is not worth the price/risk. I also didn't notice that much of a noticeable different in flavor. That is the thing about BBQ what works for one guy doesn't mean it will work for the next.

I can buy Farmland Duroc by the case from a local butcher,3.79/lb. I resale my rejects, usually only 2 in a case of 10 to a buddy for $10/rack.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on an 8 pack of St louis ribs. With the brethren discount, they are about 5-10% more $$ than Kroger ribs. For Duroc pork i think it's worth a shot. Especially seeing that they are producing a more consistent product now.

These kind of discussions are why i love this site

How do you get the brethren discount? I'm new to the site and couldn't find any info on it.

Back