• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Belly Tacos and Ceviche (Live Pron)

Q Junkie

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well, since I have mastered the art of corn on the grill I thought I would step up my game a little. Picked up an almost 9 lb. belly from Costco and about 3.25 lbs. of Tilapia for some ceviche and tacos.
Cut belly into (3)- 3 lb pieces, (1) for tacos and (2) for bacon.
Fish is diced and in some lime juice, and the belly is on the Kamado for about 1.5 hrs so far running at 250* at the moment over lump and hickory. Going to go chop up the rest of the veggies to go into the ceviche and will be posting some progress pics soon.
For now this is what I have.

IMAG1659.jpg

IMAG1660.jpg

IMAG1661.jpg

IMAG1663.jpg

IMAG1665.jpg

We're thinking alike today! I picked up a 10.55# belly at Costco this morning. Cut it into 1/3's, put 2 of them in my cure mix and in the fridge for a week. Going to smoke the other one on the UDS tomorrow. Good luck on yours and post pics please.

Depending on the source of tilapia I would be reluctant to use in ceviche. Mostly imported and not raised in optimal conditions and known for surviving in less than pristine water quality environments.

Depending on the source of tilapia I would be reluctant to use in ceviche. Mostly imported and not raised in optimal conditions and known for surviving in less than pristine water quality environments.

You just described me to a tee.

It was a leftover mix of Oakridge Secret Weapon and some Chipotle powder that was kick ass on some ribs from last week..

Looks great! :thumb: :thumb:

Love me some Ceviche and your looks close to the way I make it. Did you follow Tonybel's recipe?

Looks great! :thumb: :thumb:

Love me some Ceviche and your looks close to the way I make it. Did you follow Tonybel's recipe?

Actually no it is not from Tonybel but may be very similar. I will have to look into theirs because everything they do looks really good.
This was just a blend of different recipes I have seen and took the parts that I liked and have been making it "my" way since. I usually just make it by look and color based on how much fish I start with and how good the other ingredients are. I always make a ton of it and we eat it for days. The tilapia was from Costco (probably the same one you go to) and it has always been of top quality.

Well, everything was going well until it wasn't. Long story short, everyone loved and ate ceviche. The pork belly went just a little late and everyone agreed to post pone the tacos until tomorrow. We shared a few bites and I have to say that the belly is unreal. So good but can't eat it until tomorrow. I will try for a pic or two but my phone is stuck on Prince Mode (everything is purple). Will follow up tomorrow with better pics.

IMAG1684.jpg

Prince purple or not, that belly looks awesome!! Hope mine looks half that good. Was the skin on it?

About eight years ago while prepping for my first bodybuilding competition (shortly after losing 92#), I had to eat fish for every meal of the day (6-8 meals). Ceviche was my savior! After eating it every day for 12 weeks it got a little tiring though. I love to cook fish, but absolutely hate to eat it (especially salmon). My clients favorite way to have it prepared was in a Peruvian fashion, and I have to agree it was good. Seeing this thread makes me want it again. Yours looks excellent!

Prince purple or not, that belly looks awesome!! Hope mine looks half that good. Was the skin on it?

No, the skin had been removed. Was a little disappointed but it was fine without it. I will sous vide the pork belly later for tacos for lunch today.
More pics to come.

Sous Vide is too BBQ!!!

Pork belly from last night in the sous vide for Purple Pork Belly Tacos!
Anticipating about 2.5-3 hrs at 170*
I will win this fight yet! :boxing:

IMAG1685.jpg

IMAG1686.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPV1QJvEuw4"]Purple Rain (Original Performed by Prince & The Revolution) - YouTube[/ame]

Back