Need Tips for a MMS Vulcan V-33

Larry5532

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
We are finally moving up from our beloved WSM's to a Vulcan.

I need some tips on gravity feed smokers in general, and this model in particular. Startup, charcoal/wood mix, any problems, cleanup, storage, transport, etc. etc.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along, but thought this might get the ball rolling.

Larry B
Big Dog BBQ VA

You can use the charcoal of your choice. Myron likes the Kingsford Hickory Briquettes in his Vulcan. I use the regular Kingsford. Start it with a chimney, dump it in the chute, fill it with charcoal and close it up.
Put wood chunks in the fire box if you don't use "flavored" charcoal.
You can PM me with any questions or concerns.

I've heard people say they've done that, but I didn't see it done. I haven't done it.
I'm headed to Cumming today. I'll ask some of thru GF folks.

We have had good results putting wood chunks in the chute with the charcoal.

We have ran it with both briquettes and lump and both work well. When we first got our V-33 we ran it for 41 hours straight and use 30lbs of charcoal.

We normally light using a torch. Just fill up the chute, then stick a torch through the fire grate for a few minutes and it is ready to go. It comes up to temp pretty quick but we generally light it about an hour ahead of when we want to cook to make sure everything is fully heated.

For transport we have moved it around several times in a toy hauler without any issues. It is heavy but the big wheels make moving it around pretty manageable.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back