Water or no water in WSM 22.5 for comps.

stonekoldsmoking

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Last two comps I have not used water in my WSM 22.5 and my ribs have hit 1st and 2nd, But brisket hasn't been in the top 5... I foiled the water pan and let it rip. Thinking bout starting with water pan with brisket and pulling it when I wrap brisket(that's when I usually put my ribs on. Any input?

There are lots of variables. You need to see what works with your combination of prep, injection, rubs, marinades, sauces, fuel, temps, timing, etc. etc. etc.

FWIW, I never use water in any of my WSMs, 18.5 or 22.5. I fairly consistently get calls in any category, just can't seem to hit all four categories in any one comp. YMMV.

If that's your plan, I would empty the water pan, but not pull it completely. I would still want it to divert the heat, but that's JMHO. Of course I would try this before you cook a comp with it.

My bad I won't pull it just empty water out and foil it when ribs go on... Going to buy 24" foil to facilitate easier "foiling"...

I use my 18.5" WSM to cook comp pork, and I don't use water in the pan. I just foil it and let it ride.

I wouldn't mess with water in the pan at all. I just foil mine when using it. The WSM water pan never really seemed to add moisture since it sits so high above the heat it never hits a boil. My backwoods the water pan sits a few inches from the fire and will hit a rolling boil and when you open the door to the cook chamber you can see the steam in there. With a WSM I have never seen that. The function of the WSM water pan seems to be more of a heat stabilizer/diverter vs a moisture producer. That tiny bit of moisture it might add probably isn't the culprit in your brisket not being top 5.

You didn't specify, but I guess we all assumed you are having dry brisket since we are discussing water in the pan. Is dry brisket the issue you are having?

I never used water in my 22.5's.

For my heat diverter, I bought a large terracotta plant base, foiled it and put it upside down in the water pan then foiled the top of the water pan for easy clean-up. Taking the pan out all together will give you the same effect as all the drum smokers you see guys winning on weekly (at least in my neck of the woods). I never had 'too' much luck being consistent with brisket on my wsm's but, they are rib and chicken cooking machines!

Like moist of us, I used water in the pan as a bit of a safety net when I first got my WSM. But once you get to know your smoker (which you should know very well if you are using it for comps) a foiled empty pan works just fine.

Thanks for the input, especially Firedancer. We were at Bedford when you won. Brisket is not dry just It got past wrapping temp faster than I thought.

We usually put some in, about half full or so, when we put the big meats on. When it dries out, we don't refill it. We don't use a guru, or anything like that, and it we seem to be able to get more sleep with water in it at first. Once we're up and about, we don't worry about it, and could never get it hot enough for chicken with water in it.

With my 22", it gets to it's happy place with a filled water pan around 225-230* and it cruises there for 10+ hours no problem. But it will not get much higher than that no matter how hard I try. Without water in the pan, it will run a minimum of about 245 and temps are pretty unstable if I try to get anywhere below that. But if I want to go higher, I can get it up to 350+ with an empty, foiled water pan.

YMMV, good luck!

We seem to be the odd one out. We always use full water pan, get plenty of steam, and usually walk in one or the other of the categories. I suspect it's only contribution, though, is to add thermal mass and smooth out the temperature variations. On the other hand, cleanup is kinda nasty......

Larry
=======
Big Dog BBQ VA
KCBS CBJ/CTC
3 22.5 WSM
BBQ Gurus

We also use a full water pan for the big meats. When they are done and in a Cambro we let the water pan boil dry for chicken.

Back