What am I getting myself into?

jonah28

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi,

Basic question: Should I restore or replace my Rec Tec?

When replacing a few components, I've noticed rust under the fire pot which is in the center of the barrel and some rust on the exterior. The paint is also chipping on the exterior.

I think I'd have to strip it down and repaint the exterior and interior and replace more of the components. I'd save approximately $800 and could do a pretty cool custom paint job.

Is a smoker refurb a major undertaking that will keep me from getting back to smoking? It's a project I'd like to finish in a weekend or two, and it's something I have no experience doing.

I'd like to hear what my smoker bros think.

Thanks!

The refurb is doable, I'd say deeper question is whether you are satisfied with Que coming off of it. If you're happy, then I'd say save 800 clams for buying meat. If there's room for improvement then maybe a new cooker is in order. That's when this thread will probably light up more

The refurb is doable, I'd say deeper question is whether you are satisfied with Que coming off of it. If you're happy, then I'd say save 800 clams for buying meat. If there's room for improvement then maybe a new cooker is in order. That's when this thread will probably light up more

This is important, since it will take time to do the job properly. Do you have another cooker you can use meanwhile? A couple of weeks can be a long time without cooking during the nice weather. All I have is two kettles, and have to have at least one of them available year round.

For the experience , go refurb. Skill and lessons learnt might prove invaluable in the future. Either way you can't go wrong. Just my pennys worth.

I love the consistency and ease of use with the Rec Tec. With how much I use it, I probably save a few hours every month not having to start a fire, and I've saved who knows how much time not having to maintain the fire. I love that about the Rec Tec. The flavor is solid. As for improvement, there is always room for improvement.

I tend to like a little more creosote on my food to add to the flavor, but I guess I have to figure out the trade off between convenience and flavor.

Thanks for the advice.

This is important, since it will take time to do the job properly. Do you have another cooker you can use meanwhile? A couple of weeks can be a long time without cooking during the nice weather. All I have is two kettles, and have to have at least one of them available year round.

Unfortunately, I don't have any additional cookers, but I have a Weber Kettle picked out. That would probably make due if I end up refurbing the Rec Tec.

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, I don't have any additional cookers, but I have a Weber Kettle picked out. That would probably make due if I end up refurbing the Rec Tec.

Thanks for the advice.

All I own are kettles, and they are allowing me to wait for a very good deal on something else. Been looking decades for that deal.:-D

All I own are kettles, and they are allowing me to wait for a very good deal on something else. Been looking decades for that deal.:-D

Haha, I've seen some of the stuff that comes off of a kettle. There only downside for me is the volume of meat you can smoke at once.

Grab the kettle, refurbish the RecTec. If you like the RekTek when finished, keep both. If you aren't happy with it, sell it to someone else...

Haha, I've seen some of the stuff that comes off of a kettle. There only downside for me is the volume of meat you can smoke at once.

True, I've never smoked more than 40 lbs of meat at one time.

I'm going to refurb it. Wish me luck! I'll post photos when I get it done.

Thanks for all the advice.

I ended up doing a minor refurb. I purchased the ultimate upgrade kit for the Rec Tec which ended up replacing the lid, the controller, and the smoke stack cover. I sanded down the rusty spots and repainted with the standard black grill paint. I did not repaint the bottom storage rack.

I decided against a major refurb because my wife is in the military, and we're due for a move in 2 years. I've heard the moving companies are pretty picky about moving grills, so I didn't want to put a lot of money into it in case I can't move it. If that happens, I'll probably switch to something a little cheaper like a PBC or WSM. Until then, she lives!

Thanks for all the advice. Brisket is prepped for tomorrow :wink:

Attachments

• 20170826_094450.jpg
    20170826_094450.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 89
Back