• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help with a new stick burner...

SoFloQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Good morning all-
I just recently got an inexpensive stick burner (from HBT welding).
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...0_zpsoo0jqdzw.jpg?1429541862686&1429541863294

I have read all the reviews and seen most of the Mods done from other bretheren. I did a cook this past weekend to test some temps and and see how it burned through splits and how it held temp.. As expected, I burned through more splits then what most on here talk about to maintain my temps. I was throwing a split about every 30 minutes and was keeping it between 285 and 250 grate temp. I was cooking full slab spare ribs. I rubbed them, let them come to room temp and then placed them on the grates (2 grates with a slab at the end of each)

Let it go 3 hours, did a bend test and spritzed with apple nectar then closed it back up again... went another hour and opened it up and unfortunately had mush... I didn't foil.

Would I need to bring the temp down or just pull them sooner... also, my big cook will have much more meat mass on it, will that effect my times or temp?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.. I have a company picnic this coming Saturday and would like to make sure I will turn out delicious ribs... I'm looking to cook at least two more practice runs

Thanks in advance...

For the cook you just did you should have pulled them sooner if you wanted firmer texture. That's all a part of learning a new pit.

Yes, more meat on the cooker means more time. It just takes longer.

just my .02

I got my HBT pit back in February and since then I found that the temp gauges that comes with the pit are way off. Mine was running 100 degrees hotter than what the gauges was reading. if you are using the gauges that come with your HBT you may want to get new ones. I found mine at Academy Sports. Since I changed them out I have not had any problems.

Same here. I had read that in the reviews from the other bretheren who had got one and decided to get an ET-732 to watch my grate temps... glad I did too! Almost a consistent 90 to 100 degree deifference between grate and and the head space temp with the cheap gauges it comes with.

What HBT pit did you get?

Same here. I had read that in the reviews from the other bretheren who had got one and decided to get an ET-732 to watch my grate temps... glad I did too! Almost a consistent 90 to 100 degree deifference between grate and and the head space temp with the cheap gauges it comes with.

I have the same one without the basket. The only things I would change about mine so far is I would want the coal grate to be removable in the charcoal grill for easier cleaning and I would have got the basket. Other than that I love it so far.

I have a couple mods that I'm getting ready to do and a removable charcoal grate is one of them... I also want to lower the grate in the firebox and change the exhaust cover. I want to be able to completely open the chimney, right now with the cover all the way open I still have about 15% of it covered. I'm still really new to it but I have enjoyed it so far.

Did you let your ribs rest before you cut them? I find folks will let big cuts rest but don't rest their ribs. If you let them rest they will firm up a bit and if you overcooked them a bit you can save them as far as texture goes. Now if you really really overcooked them there is no coming back. Pull the bones, chop it up and throw it in your beans.

Might want to double check on allowing ribs to come to room temp. That's fine with beef but never allow pork to come to room temp. Just thought I'd mention it...

I'd hit those ribs.

How about some pics of your new grill !!!!!

I love seeing these.

bjordmia... you are correct... room temp was a wrong choice of wording. I did let them sit a bit after they came out of the fridge though..

legendaryhog... I did, about 45 minutes. I just really overcooked them. And beans are exactly what some went in to.

Thanks for the feedback all

DubfromGA... flavor was good but they were mush.. I overcooked them..

Now the tenderloin was different... That I butterflied, stuffed with mushrooms,asparagus and blue cheese. wrapped in bacon and cooked hot in fast over some pecan

We have found that when burning splits as your fuel on our cooker that you build the fire on the bottom of the firebox so the wood coals will help maintain a better consistent heat source.

We have found that when burning splits as your fuel on our cooker that you build the fire on the bottom of the firebox so the wood coals will help maintain a better consistent heat source.

No grate in the firebox eh?

I read about doing that in a book. I lose bits of embers through that grate reducing my coal bed. I think I'll give it a try

Back