• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I am confused

Badhabit

Reaction score
I saw both on a youtube and a bbq show on tv that they took the pork shoulder off at 165 to make pulled pork. At what temp do you take it off. I have been taking it up to 205 as I thought that was what you needed to do. Help

H

in order for it to be tender shredded pork it needs to reach higher temps like you are doing so that it probes like butter. If you want to slice it or chop it all up you can pull it at 165.

Yeah, I'd like to see how they pull pork at 165 degrees. At that temp, it would be more like "torn pork". :becky:
At 165, there will be so much gristle, fat, bone attached, etc.....what a PIA.

Keep on doin what you're doin. Ya gotta get it up to a higher temp to allow all that connective tissue to break down to ALLOW it to pull.

Oh sure you could chop it, but I don't even think it tastes as good unless everything is allowed to render out.

My guess is they pulled it off to wrap in foil then returned it to the cooker.

My guess is they pulled it off to wrap in foil then returned it to the cooker.

This!

Also, if they weren't it was to chop. Although, round here I don't start thinking chop till around 175ish and slice at 180-185. Pulled temps don't start till about 195 and go to whatever....usually top out at 205 depending on cook time and temp. But, in the end it's done when it's done and the bone wiggles free.

This!

Also, if they weren't it was to chop. Although, round here I don't start thinking chop till around 175ish and slice at 180-185. Pulled temps don't start till about 195 and go to whatever....usually top out at 205 depending on cook time and temp. But, in the end it's done when it's done and the bone wiggles free.

Best answer yet for the best pulled pork. Anything less than 195 is for slicing.

I pull mine when the bone wiggles like a loose tooth. Never had an issue pulling. 165 IMO is way to low.

The reason you MAY want to pull at 160 is to make -

PORK BURNT ENDS! Pull that puppy, cube it 1", re-dust w/ rub,
slather it w/ sauce (or wait till later, or never, your choice)
toss it into a HD aluminum pan (or sturdy metal kitchen pan)
back on the smoker for 1 - 2 hours....
add sauce sometime..... good apps. Use a toothpick for each piece....

others may chime in to fix my rough idea...

I saw both on a youtube and a bbq show on tv that they took the pork shoulder off at 165 to make pulled pork. At what temp do you take it off. I have been taking it up to 205 as I thought that was what you needed to do. Help

H

Well, the internet and TV don't lie, so it must be true!

As others have said, go by feel, I doubt you could pull the meat apart at 165. Temp is merely a data point and doesn't mean that much. And, if what you have been doing has been successful, keep doing it.

180ish is good for slicing....FORGET the 165 nonsense except for the vacinity a stall starts.

I start checking for probe tender @ 195.

The only thing I know of that would be done at an IT of 165 is chicken!:wink:

I used to pull at 205°. I went to a Chris Marks BBQ class and he mentioned that you have to be careful not to go to low because (as was mentioned) the colegene may not be completely rendered, however if you let it get too high (and he mentioned above 203°) it can be enter the mushy stage. He says he likes around 198° however the probe test is final say. I've seen the "mushy" thing happen and so I've been finding 197° - 199°... Let me know what you guys think about the "high temp mushy" texture...

Back