A-MAZE-N products dust vs pellets

HB-BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I need some input on the A-MAZE-N pellet smokers for cold smoking cheese. I currently own their 6x6 #AMNS6X6 saw dust smoker and have been pleased with its overall performance. I want to compare the taste difference that the pellets produce and have some questions before i order one.

Do the pellets burn any cleaner or produce more or less smoke than the saw dust does? Are there any benefits with the maze style over the tube style pellet smokers?

I have the dust, pellet and tube smokers.

I ONLY use dust for cheese in my MES, it puts out a better smoke?

It is a lighter smoke compared to the pellet model.

As far as the tubes, I use them in my uds were it can handle more smoke because of the larger area.

I have the 5x8 pellet and I've only used it a couple times to smoke cheese. I actually had trouble with the pellets staying lit. I was thinking of trying the sawdust.

So basically I'm of no help. :icon_blush:

How bout this. PM me your address and I'll send you a bag of pellets. I have more than I can use in the near or not so near future.

I have the A-Maze-N ... 5" X 8" ... Pellet Smoker. I choose pellet over sawdust because pellets are more readily available both locally as well as online. I can get up to an 11 hour burn for cold smoking. Making it easy to rotate product from cold smoke to a hot smoker and start another batch in the cold smoker.

I also had an older sawdust smoker, the level of smoke is about the same, but the burn is longer with the pellets.

Maze or Tube is a personal choice as to what fits/works best in your smoker.

I believe the dust is pure wood of what you're using and the pellets are a mix of the wood and oak.

The dust works great and is a perfect way to learn to identify the smoke of different woods. It helps to microwave the dust a touch before using it.

I have the 5x8 pellet and I've only used it a couple times to smoke cheese. I actually had trouble with the pellets staying lit. I was thinking of trying the sawdust.

I have the 5x8 as well and use pellets, for no reason other than that is what I have. They are a little tricky to keep lit. I use a small propane torch to give them a good burn for a minute or so until they have a decent size flame on their own. I let that burn without the torch for another minute or so then blow it out and stick it in the smoker. It usually works after that. Occasionally, I have to light it again but most of the time it works.

I've used both but prefer the pellets as they seem to stay lit better and they are friggin' cheap.

I have the 5x8 as well and use pellets, for no reason other than that is what I have. They are a little tricky to keep lit. I use a small propane torch to give them a good burn for a minute or so until they have a decent size flame on their own. I let that burn without the torch for another minute or so then blow it out and stick it in the smoker. It usually works after that. Occasionally, I have to light it again but most of the time it works.

I would suggest waiting a little longer until you have more pellets engulfed in flame. I let the flame go for almost 5 minutes before I blow it out.

Back