looking for my first smoker

mrbojangles

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Nick and I'm new here! I am looking to purchase my first smoker and am looking for recommendations.
I am someone who likes to work the fire, so I would like to get something that goes with that. If I ended up with a set it and forget it unit I wouldn't be able to leave it alone lol. As far as size goes I want to be able to do a thanksgiving bird in the thing, but for the most part it's going to be for me and a few friends for the weekly Saturday bbq. I was thinking a smaller offset vertical unit. Quality and longevity are important to me. I also don't want something that I will outgrow in a year.
My budget is 700. Which I haven't been able to find much in that range, it's either cheaper or stretch the budget. I like the lone star grillz unit but it's out of budget. I am just outside of Seattle Washington, if that matters much.

STRICTLY going by budget and your desire to fidget with a fire I humbly suggest an Oklahoma joes smoker.

Now I usually would push you to expand your budget to get EXACTLY what you wanted (which sounds like the lonestar grillz). But, since you're just starting this BBQ adventure/addiction. Learning on an Oklahoma joe will pay off when you know exactly what you wanna get a few years down the road.

STRICTLY going by budget and your desire to fidget with a fire I humbly suggest an Oklahoma joes smoker.

Now I usually would push you to expand your budget to get EXACTLY what you wanted)which sounds like the lonestar grillz). But, since you're just starting this BBQ adventure/addiction. Learning on an Oklahoma joe will pay off when you know exactly what you wanna get a few years down the road.

I agree

I speake from experience, its a solid pit and good for a beginner.

You may be hard pressed finding a vertical offset in your price range, there is the Brinkmann Trailmaster, but it needs a lot of mods. its another choice

Do like I did, and find a 22.5" Weber Performer with a gas assist starter on Craigslist from anywhere from $50-250, depending on age and condition, and use it to learn how to smoke. I am a beginner to smoking, and I got mine about a month ago, and it does a great job for a beginner, plus you can cook on it as a regular grill. I love it so far. It settles in at about 275 degrees like a champ. You can indirect cook very easily on it.

I don't pretend to know the first thing about smoking, but I have "smoked"/slow cooked full chickens, boneless thighs, chicken legs, atomic buffalo turds, tri-tip, and meat loaf so far...and I am learning something each time from the mistakes I am making lol

Good luck whatever you decide...but if you google smoking on a Weber Kettle, or search on here, you can find lots of good info.

I have ButtBurner former ok joe longhorn. I believe they are $550 new(I paid a very fair price for this gently used smoker). It has a few mods done to it and I consider it an adequate smoker. Sounds like you understand the work involved, stickburners are not for everyone. A weber or uds are cheaper options to get you going until discover how much you commitment you have to this

Just keep in mind that the more you have your fire box door open fiddling with the fire the more your temperatures fluctuate making it very difficult to have steady temperate for smoking and cooking.

get a wsm. Fiddle with recipes and the meat instead of fiddling with the fire.

I'd see if any local builders - even part timers or guys who build for hobby- are in your area. Put an wanted ad out on CL. Sometimes high schools or jr college welding classes will do it for a project at materials cost but you will have a long wait.

In the meantime build a UDS. :mrgreen:

I had a horizontal offset and hated it. I planned on building a vertical offset when my buddy Jeff (Mugsterdad on here) talked me into building a UDS. At this point, you could not take away my UDS with a loaded gun.

If I were looking to buy, I'd be looking real hard at the WSM.

I got a 22.5 WSM early this spring and I love it... I learned the basics cooking with my uncle on his 22.5 WSM and bought one for myself. Learning curve is very small with the WSM and I've been cooking very good food on it for months now.

Yeah, I wanted to suggest a WSM, but the OP says he wants a stick burner.

There's the Good One patio model for 799 it's pretty cool. I would also suggest a wsm too.

Hey Nick,
I was in EXACTLY the same place as you maybe 3 years back. I got a Horizon backyard smoker from Bass Pro to learn on. From what i hear it's almost identical to the Oklahoma Joe's that were recommended. I just got a custom trailer from LoneStar Grillz literally 10 days ago. My recommendation.. learn pit management, fire management, etc on a cheaper unit and save your money for one of those pretty LSG units. I LOVE Mine.. you wont be disappointed.

Hey Nick,
my apologies.. You did say "vertical" offset. I was thinking "horizontal" offset. Still can't go wrong with anything from LSG though.

Back