Don't Boil Brine Spices?

Vision

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
In the turkey apple brine recipe you're not supposed to add the spices to the apple juice/sugar/salt mix until it has cooled down to 40f from it's boil.

Why is this?

Some people believe that by adding them cold, the brine will pull the aromatics from the spices, while boiling does the same thing, it casts the oils into the steam (which is why the steam smells so good) and dilutes the effect of the spices.

I think perhaps you read it wrong, the turkey should go in at 40f or below. Are you refering to the TVWB recipe?

I think perhaps you read it wrong, the turkey should go in at 40f or below. Are you refering to the TVWB recipe?

Yes.

[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40°F.

In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients. When adding the oranges, squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container, then drop in the peel.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html
[/FONT]

I think Paul is correct by the way, turkey at 40F, yes. Spices, in my view, go in at around 160F or so. Like tea. Steep, not boil

Yes.

[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40°F.

In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients. When adding the oranges, squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container, then drop in the peel.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html
[/FONT]

I've used that recipe several times before switching to Patio Dadios. The apple juice, water and all the spices are brought to a boil for 1 minute then the oranges are added once it is @ 40f.

Oops, I had to refresh my memory. Along with the oranges these items also went in once cooled.

4 ounces fresh ginger, unpeeled and thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

I don't even boil my brine, I just heat it until all the salt and sugar dissolve. I've already just used super hot water and that works fine as well.

Back