First Brisket cook on UDS in progress

brisket6_zpsyju1q8pm.jpg

2:30 will be 6 hrs.. Think I'm kinda commited to nekkid now? I'll check back on it in another hr and see if its giving up any tenderness.

Directv install will be here in 10 mins to

All great advice here. Looks good,just have patients and trust the advice. It will turn out great. Good luck.

That is a pretty color. The bark looks set also. I would actually think about wrapping it to protect the color. Keep in mind you probably have 30mins-1hour or so left to cook.

Thanks guys.. been dealing with the directv install issues so briskets been all by itself until now.. no wraping. I did probe it real fast 10 mins ago.. seems like the point is real close but the flat has more time to go.. but the temp is way above 200.. could it maybe be overdone is why its tough in the flat but tender in the point.. I dunno lol.. hopefully with the wife home real soon i can pay more attention to the situation.

I just decided to take it off and bring it in to get a better feel of the situation.. again the point seems real close but the flat has time to go as its not probing tender.. its starting to get the wobbly feel.. I decided to pan it and check it every half hr now.

brisket7_zpsfnmwhkfk.jpg

brisket7_zpstezc9pcz.jpg

Last edited:
Checked it for the first time after panning about 15 mins ago. skinny end of flat is probing close.. Thick part not so much. will check again in 20 mins.

brisket8_zps1op7c4ec.jpg

does it make any sense to wrap in kraft paper after its done and rest or just vent it for a bit and leave it panned up and foiled to cool?

Thanks!

Still not quite there.. still wrapped..coals starting to get low as i didn't have a full load in there and we're going on 9hrs soon. hopefully when i check at 5:30 its done or close as I don't think I have much more fuel in the UDS after that.. can always finish in oven but ideally that wont be necessary

Took it off 5 mins ago.. Probed pretty good... waiting for the fat part of the flat took a lot longer than the point and thinner end of flat. hopefully those areas didn't get too done.. I'm sure it will be fine either way.. Thanks a lot all for coming along for the ride it was quite fun and all of the help and assurance was greatly appreciated!

I took a shot of the brisket before i wrapped it in butcher paper. I'll post that after the directv installer leaves and I'll post some sliced shots after the rest in a few hrs!

Have a great evening all :)

Couple of shots after taking it off UDS... Thinking she got a little over done.. Probed tender on the UDS but now when i transferred it for the rest it has lost that probe tender feel and feels tough. Bummer - but it was a great learning experience and I'm sure it will be edible.. The bark and UDS flavor from thedrippings was sure there. if i didn't get side tracked with the installer for 3 hrs I think I could have had better results in the end.

brisket10_zpsgqxnezqn.jpg

brisket9_zpscsqtdwzn.jpg

Ended up, terribly dry.. Point was salvageable. disappointing but we'll try again and it will be even sweeter tasting done right.

Thanks again Ya'll for all the help. The tips and suggestions won't be forgotten going forward and were greatly appreciated.

Back