Got a rabbit, now what

bathmatt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My son just got an eating rabbit, and I have no idea how to cook it. We are going to butcher it this Friday. I have had it in the past and I love the taste, just never prepared so I am asking the experts, well experts? what to do?
Matt

Clean it, grill it. It will dry out quickly, so treat it like a thin pork chop. I grill them whole, I don't part them up. Sear on all sides and indirect heat to finish. I like a marinade for a day, or brine, which ever floats your boat. I season,.. but don't rub,... My mother in-law cooks them down in a stew. Thats good too. Any way you choose to do it,.. remeber the little buggers love to dry out. Good luck!

Rabbit is very, very lean. You may want to consider a braise or incorporating it into some other dish. Lots of good rabbit/pasta dishes. You can overcook it on the grill quite easily.

My grandmother used to cook whole rabbits back then, she always cooked them in a stew that had redwine as one of the main ingredients it was absolutely delicious.

Last one I did came out good. Brined, then wrapped in bacon and smoked. Hit it with some BBQ sauce at the end.

Clean it, grill it. It will dry out quickly, so treat it like a thin pork chop. I grill them whole, I don't part them up. Sear on all sides and indirect heat to finish. I like a marinade for a day, or brine, which ever floats your boat. I season,.. but don't rub,... My mother in-law cooks them down in a stew. Thats good too. Any way you choose to do it,.. remeber the little buggers love to dry out. Good luck!

Thanks, I worry that the stew idea will hide the flavor.

Yeah, braised in a D. O. will probably be the best.....as said, they dry out very easy.....
I chanced smoking one awhile back, after a brine & the outer edges still came out a little chewy....not bad, but you really have to be careful....

SpatchcockedBunnyonNewNlue045.jpg

Hit it with your favorite rub, into the smoker at about 275. Hit it with some sauce at the end. YUM!

20141019_201849_Android.jpg

I wrap in bacon and grill kind of like dove. It is real easy to dry out so stews work well.

Never tried smoking them.

If you got them with a shot gun make sure you get all the pellets out. I hate biting down on some unexpected shot.

We cook wild rabbit a lot.One way we do them is clean,part out,let sit covered in a bowl in the fridge overnite with chopped onions.Dust with seasoned flour,dip in egg wash,dredge through seasoned flour again and pan fry until just browned on each side.Place on rack on baking sheet and cook @ 300 til done.Make gravy out of pan drippings,return rabbit to gravy,simmer an hour or so.Make homemade biscuits and cook up some rice or mashed taters.TASTEE indeed.

We cook wild rabbit a lot.One way we do them is clean,part out,let sit covered in a bowl in the fridge overnite with chopped onions.Dust with seasoned flour,dip in egg wash,dredge through seasoned flour again and pan fry until just browned on each side.Place on rack on baking sheet and cook @ 300 til done.Make gravy out of pan drippings,return rabbit to gravy,simmer an hour or so.Make homemade biscuits and cook up some rice or mashed taters.TASTEE indeed.

People say "done" is done 165? 200 (like a stew), 135 like a steak?

We do this with rabbit and squirrel. It is quite delicious.

Back