What type wood to use on Lamb

BillyCal

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am smoking a 7lb leg of lamb for thanksgiving this year and wondered what everyone recommends for wood type.
I can get Oak, Hickory, Pecan, and cherry, and I use a 48 Lang reverse flow smoker.

The plan is to coat with EVOO and season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and let it roll at 225ish till 130

By the way first leg of lamb I am doing.

Hickory, Pecan-or a mix of them, with a little cherry thrown in would work for me. Pecan and cherry are what we usually use. We do lamb every year for Easter and Thanksgiving.
We do pretty much the same seasoning you are planning; we also add fresh rosemary sprigs inserted into the roast.

The above woods are great choices, try putting a few sprigs of rosemary with the coals. As it burns, it will help to add additional flavor with the smoke.

Thanks guys. I thinking I will try a Pecan striat for this one and will defenetly try the Rosemary on the coals. Fresh I would assume?

This is a great subject! A lot of people aren't keen on lamb unless well seasoned. Smoke is a great seasoning. Madman right on with the rosemary! I usually grow way too much rosemary every year and it gets a firm stalk. This is a good thing as it burns and smokes beautifully. I leave it alone all winter until around easter when there's is an abundance of lamb leg on sale then harvest the rosemary. The aroma is amazing and it will penetrate the lamb. I use charcoal with oak and rosemary. Opa!!!

:whoo:

Besides marinating my leg of lamb In garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, and rosemary, I imbed garlic cloves about every three inches and rub with a little cocoa powder and lots of "Cavender's" all purpose Greek Seasoning.

Apple, cherry, or pecan.

Love lamb. Stuffed this leg and used cherry.

I've used apple with cherry, about a 75/25 split. But the key was adding the rosemary on the coals. Did that on my second lamb cook and have never looked back.

I will echo in on the rosemary as well, yes it is great to add some to the fire. What I also do is use infused EVOO with garlic and rosemary, heat up the oil with the green bits and garlic in an oven at like 200 and let it sit for a bit (half hour or so), then use thta to rub down the leg.. MMmmnn now I'm hungry.

Lamb has a fairly strong flavor on it's own so I wouldn't use anything too strong like mesquite. I think you'd be safe with any of the fruitwoods. I bet citrus woods would be good too now that I think of it. I've got some orange wood that would be good and some grape.

Don't want to take away from the awesome lamb flavor. Any fruit wood will do fine. Have fun!

I am using pecan. Any fruit wood would be good. I also recommend the rosemary for lamb. Fresh in the coals or I just use the dried herb in the rub.

I am smoking a 7lb leg of lamb for thanksgiving this year and wondered what everyone recommends for wood type.
I can get Oak, Hickory, Pecan, and cherry, and I use a 48 Lang reverse flow smoker.

The plan is to coat with EVOO and season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and let it roll at 225ish till 130

By the way first leg of lamb I am doing.

They all work great, apple and peach, fruit woods work great.
The latest fashion is to burn rosemary rather than add the herb to the meat.
Go easy, burned rosemary can totally overpower any protein and can really go a bit bitter.
I rather the control of using it traditionally, on the meat itself.
Banksia is the best I have tried, but I know that will be a tall order in USA.

Back