Wet wood,

cjhardcore

Found some matches.
Reaction score
My oak is gaining mushrooms which sucks......too much moisture.

Can i move my wood inside my garage now or should i throw a tarp on it and then wait until next year. It was dry and seasoned.

Once wood starts to rot there isn't much you can do.
I would try to salvage as much clean wood you can and put that in the garage.

Storing wood inside your house/garage or even right next to the structure is generally not a good idea. If you don't have insect pests you likely will very soon. Just a thought.

I'm glad I like using green wood.

Definitely wouldn't go inside garage with the insects, just keep a tarp on it.

Is it sitting on the ground? If not, I would suggest stacking it on some 4X4's or something else to get it up. And definitely do NOT bring it inside. You don't know what's now calling your wood pile home. I tarp mine with no problems. I just take the tarps off when I know a stretch of dry weather is coming which allows the wood to breathe and dry out. I'll say it again.....do NOT bring it inside or else....you'll have new and unwanted residents in your house....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

for the wood that is soaking wet, should i just cover it.....i feel that is a recipe for more mold and problems. Any suggestions?

for the wood that is soaking wet, should i just cover it.....i feel that is a recipe for more mold and problems. Any suggestions?

Sound like you need to build a wood shed, or at least a roof over the wood pile. If you go the tarp route make sure to uncover when it's not raining. Be sure to pick off all the mushrooms currently growing on the wood.

Uncover it in some dry weather. Use a hatchet to remove any growth and start over drying it..... outside!

I don't put wood in the garage or near the house. You have no idea what is going on inside of that wood. I find lots of carpenter ants/termites in wood I split and that's just inviting them in. Cover that wood up and uncover during hot days. Or stick it on your firebox and preheat the splits I've lost a lot of moisture that way. If it's beginning or already rotted. Get you a case of beer enjoy a nice campfire.

Any adulterants....ie lichen, moss, mushrooms, "mold" is going to affect your flavor. Most likely an earthy dirt taste....like somebody said....Bonfire

If you have a small amount of wood to store, find a plastic drum to keep it in. I keep my chunks in a small metal trash can that has a bail style handle on it, works real good. There's usually evidence of some kind of critter in the can or the barrel, but the slickness of the sides won't allow what's in it to get out or anything new to get in.

Best way I've found to store wood is off the ground covered by a sheet of metal roof held in place with concrete blocks.

Back