Thin Chicago style pizza and a couple other Blackstone pies

Free Mr. Tony

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A local wood fired oven place has what they refer to as Chicago style pizza. I fully realize that this is blasphemous to actual Chicago pizza fans, but it truly is delicious.

Made some dough, and stretched out in a heavy dark pan that was well lubed with canola oil. Took a fork to it to dock it down a bit.

Topped with low moisture whole milk mozzarella slices.

On top of the cheese, put a paper thin layer of raw sweet Italian sausage.

The next layer is a cooked marinara sauce.

A light sprinkling of some grated Parm-regg.

In the Blackstone. Bottom stone about 600.

Topped with a little garlic powder herb sprinkle, and some roasted garlic oil.

Side view

I've made hundreds of pizzas over the years. Oven, fireplace, wood oven, Blackstone, etc. This was easy top five.

I made a couple others for my wife, and daughter. My wife just likes garlic oil, roasted chicken, onion, and cheese. No sauce. I mix 50/50 mozzarella and Asiago.

Side view

Thanks for looking, and happy holiday weekend.

Yes, please!

You're already having a great weekend back in The Fort!

Yeah. We couldn't decide what to do today. It was overcast most of the morning. Thought about going to the lake, possibly Michigan, or a few other around town activities. Ended up taking a long bike ride, and then making some pizza.

The indecisiveness made it hard to get out the smoker, but the pizza oven still made it an outdoor cooking day.

Lookin' good! Actually that looks like a thick crust but made like a deep dish. You correctly put slices of cheese on the bottom, followed by sausage & sauce. Well done! :thumb: Chicago thin crust is sauce, toppings, shredded cheese. But it MUST be cut in squares.

Wow great looking pan pizza. I remember when pizza hut (or was it godfathers) came out with theirs and that was my first exposure to it. Yours looks way better, I'll have to add it to my pizza game :thumb:

Wow great looking pan pizza. I remember when pizza hut (or was it godfathers) came out with theirs and that was my first exposure to it. Yours looks way better, I'll have to add it to my pizza game :thumb:

Wow! Haven't heard godfathers in a loooong time. Noble Roman's was popular around here too. I think of those two names when I think childhood pizza.

Noble Roman's is now a take and bake chain. It's actually pretty good.

Back