Noob needs help picking a grill

ClintRhodes

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and very ignorant when it comes to grilling. Looking for a charcoal grill and I'm getting kind of confused on all the options.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot to spend so I'm really only looking at cheaper stuff. I'm kinda leaning toward a Weber Kettle since they are in my budget and they get good reviews.....however I'm confused on the different models. Looks like they can range from like $75 on up to $150.

$150 is probably my absolute max so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Weber kettle. Spend as much on it as you can, the upgrades are worth it.

Another vote for a Weber kettle! Biggest you can afford. It's the most versatile charcoal grill available. You can smoke low n slow, as well as sear hot n fast. You can't go wrong. Plus, it's a Weber, you'll never need to buy another.
The cheaper grills end up needing replacement after 1 or 2 seasons.

Yes a weber kettle is definitely what you want....the $150 model is the lowest model I'd get if I were you. It comes with an ash catcher "pot" and hinged grates. The ash "pot" alone is worth the upgrade from the next lower model in my opinion. BUT, if you don't wanna spend that much, do what a few others have mentioned and get one from Craigslist. You shouldn't have to pay more than about $60 for the same grill if you get it from Craigslist. You'll find many that are barely used...
You are on the right track....good luck!

Like the others have said the weber kettle is the way to go. Me personally I would get one with the ash catcher as well just like AClarke44 said. Good luck you will love it!

Another vote for a Weber kettle, they can do about anything you'll want to do!

Weber OTG will do anything you want, your imagination is the only you need.

Tractor wheel, Craigslist vintage offset, UDS.

Craigslist is your friend. Set up some searches with email notification. Examples:

• weber (grill|grille|kettle|kettler) -lp -propane -gas
  • weber (smokey|smoky|smoker|smoke) -joe
  • weber (performer|kettler)

Then wait patiently. You might wait a month for a real deal or it may pop up this afternoon.

There are many amazing bargains on CraigsList, but they usually don't last very long. Patience is rewarded.

Like everyone above said - Weber kettle with the ash catcher if you can afford it. 10 years ago when I got back into grilling I bought mine and have only replaced the charcoal and grill grates in it. Plus, as you start getting more and more into grilling, there a many aftermarket accessories available for Weber grills like rotisserie and pizza oven. Once you've had a pizza out of a Weber with the pizza oven accessory you'll never buy another pizza again, well almost never, sometimes when we are lazy we still buy pizza.

I have the Weber Original 22" model (the $99 one). The only difference that I am aware of between it at the Weber Original Premium ($149) is that the Premium (or OTG for One Touch Gold as is commonly used on here) has the enclosed ash catcher and the hinged grate, whereas my OTS (One Touch Silver) has the open aluminum 'plate' style ash catcher and the grate doesn't have hinges to allow for addition of charcoal. I have been using my grill for about 5 years or so, and I have never had any issues with the open ash pan. Shortly after I got my grill, my wife bought me a cast iron grate that is divided into 4 sections, so I've hardly ever used the stock grate. If $150 is your limit, I would suggest you get the Original Kettle ($99) and use the rest of the $$$ for upgrades/accessories like a good digital thermometer, chimney starter, etc.

Great minds think alike PaPa!

GO GET THE ONE GRIMM POSTED!!! QUICK!!!

I really like my Weber Performer. It has the hinged grate and the ash catcher, but I like the side table for convenience. I never use the charcoal hopper or gas lighter, so the Platinum that Grimm posted is a great option! But, if you are patient you can probably find an older stainless performer (which is what I have) for a good deal on CL.

So sorry for the late reply. It didn't subscribe me to the thread automatically like I assumed it would so I had no idea you all were posting. :)

I just sent an email inquiring about that Kettle on Craigslist. I work in O'Fallon, MO so it's convenient. :)

Another vote for that Platinum. You can also hold out and look for a Performer to pop up on craigslist - it can add a gas assist to help get the charcoal started. I don't know your area and those might not pop up often so I'd probably just go for the Platinum and get to cooking.

Back