Peppers, keep the flavor, lose the heat

Badhabit

Reaction score
This might be considered blasphemy but here goes anyway. We are in north central Alberta, so this may be a regional thing. People here love peppers but a lot of them have trouble with the heat. Is there a way to prepare Jalapanos and hotter peppers to keep the flavor but lose some of the heat. I already take out the seeds and veins but some are still too hot for the older generation.

H

I have soaked them in water after the veins and seeds were removed because my wife cannot handle heat. It has helped.

Thanks for the post. I always wondered the same thing. I love very hot peppers but my wife does not. I will be watching this .

Run them under cold running water while using a cereal spoon to gently scrape the inside. As the tiny cells inside burst, the heat level goes down. The more you scrape, the milder they get. I leave mine with the veins and some seeds in, my wife and middle kids' peppers get a gentle scrape and stay a little warm, my youngest kiddos don't like heat at all, so I scrape theirs about 20 seconds under running water until the peppers are completely neutered.

Buy fresh firm smooth skin Jalapenos without stretch marks. Those with stretch marks are hotter than smooth pretty skin.

Canned Jalapenos are hotter than jarred Jalapenos.

How you prep them depends on what you are preparing. Buy a corer and remove the veins and seeds for ABT's.

I just deal with the heat but I've heard of people opening, removing veins and seeds and soaking overnight in buttermilk or milk though I've never done that. I have smoked/roasted Jalapenos salted and dropped into vodka on Ice with a lime wedge. I was younger then.

Agree with Adams. We like spicy, so I look for those stretch marks. I have also heard of people cleaning the peppers and the soaking them in Sprite.

Blasphemy to me, but maybe worth it to you.

Also.. I'm sure you know this.. But the longer they cook/smoke.. The less hear you'll have... At least in my experience

I've never tried this myself (probably because I love hot chilis), but I would be curious to know if it actually works... By the way, I'd be happy to drink the tequila or vodka for you when your done! :thumb:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Remove-the-Heat-of-a-Pepper-not-simply-de-seeding/

Interesting read....

While I like the heat, this article caught my attention, especially about when soaking the peppers in alcohol for 3 hours transfers the heat into the alcohol. If I used Vodka instead of tequila, I bet I could make some pretty awesome Spicy Bloody Mary's with that vodka.

^^^ this!

Capsisan is soluable in alcohol, not water. Cut up a few ghost peppers then try to rinse your hands and You will understand. :-o

Also, cutting out the membrane that holds the seeds will help. That is what contains the majority of the cap oil.

Great info here...thanks all!

I must be getting old because I love prepping ABTs. The sting of the pepper oils on the hands makes them loosen up a bit. Add a Jalapeno vodka Bloody Mary or two and I'd be good to go...

We pickle them, but with fresh I do the cold water and scrape.

....I used to munch on fresh jalapeno my whole life, turned 40 a few years ago and cant handle the heat anymore....sucks.

-D

Interesting read....

While I like the heat, this article caught my attention, especially about when soaking the peppers in alcohol for 3 hours transfers the heat into the alcohol. If I used Vodka instead of tequila, I bet I could make some pretty awesome Spicy Bloody Mary's with that vodka.

We slice up jalapenos and put into a bottle of vodka just for bloody Mary's
Good stuff!

We like heat so look for stretch marks and pointed peppers

Smooth blunt end peppers are less hot

You build a resistance to spicey food, so if you chew on habanero'a for a while, the jalapeños will soon seem mild.

As some alluded to:

Jalapeño chilies progressively get hotter the older they get, eventually turning bright red. As they age, they develop white lines and flecks, like stretch marks running in the direction of the length of the pepper. The smoother the pepper, the younger, and milder it is. The more white lines, the older and hotter. Red jalapeños can be pretty hot, if they have a lot of striations, but they are also sweeter.

4_zps1xd68vmy.jpg

After getting the veins out, I soak mine in sprite for a couple hours, seems to do the trick for me.

IMHO the best chili for flavor and mild heat is a poblano. It also takes well to roasting, they can be fine diced or remain whole for stuffing.

Here's a very simple option, Badhabit - Mezzetta's Deli Sliced Tamed Down Jalapenos
http://www.mezzetta.com/product/10106129.html
I've been using them in my jalapeno cornbread recipe for years. All the flavor with little heat. I don't know about Alberta, but they're easy to find in the grocery stores down here. If all else fails you could order some online to give them a try.

Back