• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Charcoal thoughts?

Milkman_d83

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've read that some on here cook with a mix of lump and briquettes in there Uds. Just wondering if there is any advantage to it or should I just stick with one type only? Also if u do mix. Any certain brands that work well together?

Lump is more expensive but if I could do lump then that's what it is hands down. Some briquettes have less additives which are all good but others like kbb are full of additives and leave tons of powder. Personally the more natural the better. It's nice to finish a cook without having mounds of powder leftover.

The only disadvantage would the somewhat inconsistent burn times if you tried to duplicate the cook. Briquettes make more ash than lump but they are consistent in the way they burn.

I really could not see any real measureable advantage to mixing lump and briquettes.

I use briquettes in my UDS for consistency's sake. I can get the cooking temp dialed in and walk away to do other things... minimal smoker babysitting required.

I don't like the inconsistent burn times of lump so I use briquettes, I get my smoke flavor from wood chunks (lots of them).

I liked using Stubbs charcoal in my UDS. It seemed to be a little cleaner burning.

In a UDS or a WSM I would stay away from the KBB...
I got no problem with them when they are fully lit but they can get sorta funky in a minion situation...RO briqs work well if you can get them...

Back