Storing Home Made Sauce

Nvoges

Take a breath!
Reaction score
For those of you who make your own sauce, how long does it keep in the fridge? Do any of you can it etc.? I'm curious as I don't really want to make it every time I bbq.

For me it depends on the sauce. The one I described above is so easy and comes together so fast. I always have the ingredients on hand. I just make enough for 1 cook(3 tsp honey, 3 tsp sugar, and 3 tsp vinegar), and the spices to taste (this makes just enough for one rack of ribs with a light saucing). Just going out on a limb though, I think the vinegar content may make it okay to store in the fridge. The Lexington sauce recipe I found on the amazingribs (excellent NC style vinegar mop) site has so much vinegar in it that it lasts a very long time in the fridge, so I make a lot. I have not canned. I just use a rinsed pickle jar. The wide mouth makes it easy to get a mop in. The when I am done cooking I set the jar in a boiling pot for a few minutes to kill any nasties from the mop that may have made their way back into the jar. So, I guess it is kinda like canning...

I make a 19 pint batch and pressure cook them. My neighbor and I made up about 120 pints a few summers ago and I just used up the last one about two months ago. It was 20 months old and was still good. I may have been pushing the limits on that however canned goods can hang in there for years. I generally make smaller batches and give them out to family along with frozen ribs for Christmas. Goes over very well.

It depends on the recipe to a point. Sauces are always better the next day because the bloom over night. They'll keep doing that so some sauces may change in flavor over a period of time. But, to answer your question, yes you can keep it for quite a while in the frig. I bottle mine hot (straight off the stove) in Mason jars. As it cools the lid seals up pretty good. Its kind of half way canning method. I'll keep my sauces for at least a month in the frig.

If you have freezer space. you can freeze most sauces. I would not freeze one like the Bib Bob Gibson white sauce, because of the high mayo content.

I have a batch of homemade bbq sauce in the fridge from August 2014.
Was still good last I cracked it open (December 2014) however ...
It is a ghost pepper bbq sauce, not sure if that has anything to do with it!

If you have freezer space. you can freeze most sauces. I would not freeze one like the Bib Bob Gibson white sauce, because of the high mayo content.

I've thought about that, have never tried because I'm not sure how'd it do. Next batch I'll save some off and try it.

I've thought about that, have never tried because I'm not sure how'd it do. Next batch I'll save some off and try it.
It really works well. I do it all the time with my home made sauces.

does the sauce have real butter in it? it will have a shorter shelf life as butter will go rancid.

I am like Trailer Trash, I make 18 pints at a time and pressure can them. I end up being able to keep 12 or 13 of the pint due to friends who found out I had just put up a fresh batch and want a pint or 2.

My BBQ sauce has real butter ( the only kind allowed in my house ) vinegar, ketchup, water, salt, onions, wooster sauce, lemon juice, and then chopped up fine lemon rinds. Then added Tabasco sauce to taste, ( I like it pretty spicy ) It is then brought to a boil and simmered for about 10 minutes. I will then strain all the solids out, cool and refrigerate in an airtight container. Have kept it for 2 or 3 months like this with no degradation in flavor. Just heat and use.

Omar

I appreciate all of your help, it looks like I may make up a batch this weekend and can or freeze some of it for later use.

I've never had a Sauce spoil. In the refer it will keep for a long time even with a low acid content I have a few bottles over a year old in there that I have been whittelin down. Vinegar basses the longer they sit the better they get and never they see the refer.

I am like Trailer Trash, I make 18 pints at a time and pressure can them. I end up being able to keep 12 or 13 of the pint due to friends who found out I had just put up a fresh batch and want a pint or 2.

How do you think it would do if you canned it using the water bath method? I have the water canner.

I make mine five gallons at a time and then can it. Water bath works great. Jump to about 2:20 to avoid the BS in the video.

[ame]http://youtu.be/63OkRaVBUVo?t=2m22s[/ame]

How do you think it would do if you canned it using the water bath method? I have the water canner.

I just did some searching and sauce should be fine as long as it's acidic. If it made mostly of tomatoes or vinegar it looks like you should be fine.

I just did some searching and sauce should be fine as long as it's acidic. If it made mostly of tomatoes or vinegar it looks like you should be fine.

I think your right as well. Them little bugs don't like vinegar and acid at all. I'd just make sure you wipe the tops of the jars off so the sugars don't grow some bacteria on you and break the seal. I use vodka to sterilize the top of the jars. Sounds like alcohol abuse to some but it works. Good luck!

I've let my NC vinegar sauce sit on the counter for a few months, but usually it won't last that long. It also has honey in it, which doesn't spoil. I've easily left my tomato based and mustard based sauces in the fridge for a month or more.

Back