Crispy chicken skin and legs

outlaw_ninja_bbq

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I need help with my chicken. No matter what cut of chicken I use I can never get the skin crispy when I smoke it. When I groll it turns out perfect, but I need advice. My skin is always rubbery and I have tried rubbing oil, cooking spray, etc on it before the smoke but nothing. Any suggestions?

My other question is on the legs, the exposed meat always get hard and over smoked. Has a thick smoke taste that isn't pleasant. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What temp are you smoking it at? Crispy skin requires higher temps than typical smoking temps. I aim for 350-375º. If you can cook it direct that helps as well.

As for over smoking, poultry can easily take on too much. Use less and try a different wood. I like fruitwoods or maple.

Chicken needs high heat unless your a fan of Goodyear chicken which judging by thei cry for help your not. I cook mine Indirect above 325. a littel mayo mixed with yor rub will tenderize the skin and give it a nice golden brown color as well.

400 indirect ,use very mild wood or no wood.Charcoal usually gives poultry enough smoke taste for me.

Chicken absorbs smoke very easily no need to smoke chicken at 225-250. Cook chicken indirect at 350+ temps for great crispy skin every time.

My method:
Cook indirect at 375 - 425
Once cooked, move over direct heat to crisp skin further
Sauce
Firm up sauce
Eat

You will be surprised how much fat comes out of the skin in the direct heat step.

Thanks!

Thanks guys! This helps a lot and makes a lot of sense! I will get my pit hotter or use a seperate vessel to smoke the chicken in!

Yeah, I tried smoking chicken thighs in my COS once, and I was not impressed with the results. Rubbery skin and too much smoke flavor. I'd stick to direct grilling.

Cook chicken no lower than 300 degrees give is a nice rub with some oil or butter
and baste it one last time about 20 to 30 minutes before you take it off. works every time.

For drumsticks I have really good luck with the vertical holders. The meat draws up on the bone and there is a gap between the meat and the skin, allowing the skin to crisp up evenly. You also don't have to fool with turning each piece... I do rotate the rack once during the cook.

fCrpwxs.jpg

OPKS0Ug.jpg

I have great luck using the Vortex on my 22.5 Weber Kettle.
Set up FOR High Heat indirect Cooking. Cook at approx. 500F

I cook direct on a elevated grate (mini wsm with no heat deflector) at 400 for 40 min. Comes out great!

I have great luck using the Vortex on my 22.5 Weber Kettle.
Set up FOR High Heat indirect Cooking. Cook at approx. 500F

I completely agree. If your using a kettle or kamado style cooker the Vortex rocks for chicken and getting crispy skin!

I most of the time remove the skin.. cooking chicken at home.. but at contest i smoke 300 or so.. and then last 20 minutes 350 plus in my offset.. skin is crispy and bite through every time.. and has to be purty for the contest and all lol

This chicken got 11th out of 48

Last edited:
Try grilling the skin-on parts first, over direct heat - maybe on a Weber. Keep them turning fairly frequently so they won't burn. When the skin gets a nice crisp, transfer them to the smoker. Problem solved.

For drumsticks I have really good luck with the vertical holders. The meat draws up on the bone and there is a gap between the meat and the skin, allowing the skin to crisp up evenly. You also don't have to fool with turning each piece... I do rotate the rack once during the cook.

fCrpwxs.jpg

OPKS0Ug.jpg

That's an awesome device, another think to add to my to make list !!!

Back