Chicken trimming prior to contest

tduffy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Normally trim chicken on Thursday night and food saver them and to the fridge. I'd like to do it earlier in the week but don't want it to go bad or freeze it. How early in the week do you trim?

Servesafe training states that you have 4 hours cumulative time between 40 F and 140 F. It is hard to say how long the factory took to get the chicken to 40 but after that it is normally frozen. Give yourself 3 hrs max above 40 F.

I trim on Wednesday as well and vacuum seal it up. I usually do it before the other meats because its the biggest pain.

Being fairly new to competition, I've prepped ours the night before heading to the contest. So Thursday evening for a Saturday turn in. Curious the reason it seems so many do it earlier?

Being fairly new to competition, I've prepped ours the night before heading to the contest. So Thursday evening for a Saturday turn in. Curious the reason it seems so many do it earlier?

Just a schedule thing for me. No real reason.

Yeah it's the same for us. No real reason we do it on Tuesday other than that is just the day I do it. I don't see any difference in the product from trimming Tuesday vs trimming the day before.

I usually buy Wednesday and trim Wednesday or Thursday. I have frozen and haven't seen an issue with that, but I'm just not normally that far ahead of the game.

I always plan to get it done on Thursday but it usually happens the night before the contest. I hate trimming Chicken

Wednesday for me. My first competition this year I had a hell week at work and didn't get to pre-do any of the meats. Trimmed chicken for hours in the cold and rain. It was the worst event I've ever done. I blame the chicken.

same here. I have my week before contest planned to exactly what I'll be doing every night after work. I have enough to do on thursday as it is but have ample time on tuesday and wednesday. looks like from the posts of others I'm going to trim tonight and get it done.

We trim at the contest, only takes a few minutes to whip out 12 pieces. We stopped scraping this year, and now we are only squaring them up and removing extra skin.

I hate trimming chicken, so it ends up as the last thing I do as I find a good reason for everything else to get done first.

Late Thursday night, usually with some drinks. I do not have a vacuum sealer, so too much earlier would scare me. I have had one comp where I opened up my bag of chicken to be greeted with a funky smell. So I play it safe.

On off weeks I order a case of leg quarters on Wednesday for Friday pick up. I trim, vac, freeze. I get 2 comps worth per case. At one point this summer I had 6 comps worth done and froze.
There's a good chance that I will have ALL of next years ck trimmed and froze by March!!:clap2:

I hate trimming chicken.

Back