Anyone smoking with almond wood?

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was watching Bobby Flay's BBQ Addiction, and he was using almond wood in one of his smokers. Being from California, and generally liking almonds, this caught my attention. Has anyone smoked with almond before? If so, how is it?
I've been looking for it online, but haven't had any luck so far. Fruita.com is currently sold out. I'm really just trying to figure out if it's worth tracking down.
Thanks!
-Matt

I used it once to check it out. It was pretty nice, but I personally wouldn't go to a lot of trouble to get a hold of it, esp. if you're into a stronger smoke flavor. If you like a milder hint of smoke then almond might be what you're looking for. I prefer hickory and oak myself. I don't dislike it at all, but it is milder than what I am used to. This is based on one cook with it, so YMMV - in fact it probably will!

I used it once to check it out. It was pretty nice, but I personally wouldn't go to a lot of trouble to get a hold of it, esp. if you're into a stronger smoke flavor. If you like a milder hint of smoke then almond might be what you're looking for. I prefer hickory and oak myself. I don't dislike it at all, but it is milder than what I am used to. This is based on one cook with it, so YMMV - in fact it probably will!

It sounds like it might be better on poultry or pork instead of beef. What did you use it on?

It sounds like it might be better on poultry or pork instead of beef. What did you use it on?

I'm pretty sure I used it on pork and chicken - can't remember what cut of pork - most likely a butt. I'd do pork or chicken with it for sure, but like I said, YMMV.

My wife and I had some pulled pork at a restaurant where they did this culinary type whole pig meal thingee and they used almond. It was a really subtle but nice flavor.

gtr has it right...it's a milder wood, from my experience. I first used it on chicken, and from there used it for fish a few times and even while grilling shrimp.

I see on website they have 2 boxes of it in the local store...have to check it out, but.....we have 1000's of acres of Almonds grown around me, so probably could get some cheap for the take when they do the trimmings....have to check that out....sofar I prefer Hickory and Oak (mountain/scrub type)...and some Pecan chunks I found at Orchard Supply...

Last edited:
Readily available here in Cali central valley. It's about all I use in my big offset. It works out good for me. Never had any complaints anyway ;)

It's available at all Southern California Ralph's Markets in the firewood section. I've used it for Pork, Chicken, and Turkey. I like it best mixed with Mesquite.

It's available at all Southern California Ralph's Markets in the firewood section. I've used it for Pork, Chicken, and Turkey. I like it best mixed with Mesquite.

BevMo and Ralphs???? Sweeeet! I will get some and try it out next week by itself...well maybe with some cherry....

Back