Need some pricing help

B

Buster Dog BBQ

Got asked to quote a lunch for 100 cooked onsite.

Spare ribs
chicken
mac and cheese
beans

I don't know ratio but assume it's probably 70/30 guys

will feed from 12-2

I was going to assume 2-3 ribs per person so if my math is close I need 25 racks.

I was going to do chicken thighs and some legs. I don't know how many to anticipate for here.

The beans I will just buy a big 10lb can. Do I need more than that? Will that be enough for two full pans?

And will two full pans of Mac and Cheese work?

What would be the charge for this? I have seen where you do cost by 3 or something like that.

thanks for the help.

Got asked to quote a lunch for 100 cooked onsite.

Spare ribs
chicken
mac and cheese
beans

I don't know ratio but assume it's probably 70/30 guys

will feed from 12-2

I was going to assume 2-3 ribs per person so if my math is close I need 25 racks.

Correct!

I was going to do chicken thighs and some legs. I don't know how many to anticipate for here.

1 per person.

The beans I will just buy a big 10lb can. Do I need more than that? Will that be enough for two full pans?

a #10 can feeds 26, you'll need 4.

And will two full pans of Mac and Cheese work?

If there FULL!

What would be the charge for this? I have seen where you do cost by 3 or something like that.

I would start at about $13-14 PP for that.

thanks for the help.

Good luck!

I agree with Bubba if it's a drop off. However, it sounds like ou have a buffet type line going on? Serving from 12-2? Are you expecting people to go through the line maybe more than once? If it is, I would bump up the beans and ribs by 20%. Then, charge about $16/pp.

First - Get a contract for a guaranteed number to save any heartache later, and agree what will happen when more show up. If it's 100, put out only 100 plates. To make sure folks don't double up, do a served buffet with a helper or two to move everyone thru the line. Include a dinner roll to take up plate space.

Cooked onsite, 100 folks for this menu, I would go $16 a head.

I agree with the served buffet line also, when you set up the line put the most inexpensive items first this includes the meat (chicken first then ribs...). It gives people the impression of a full plate when they get to the pricier stuff and therefore they won't ask for more...

I just got asked to do a very similar gig today...100 people. This will be my first big catering gig doing the meat and the sides. I've cooked a pile of butts on several different occasions but I've never had to do all of the other stuff with it...I'm green as a gourd when it comes to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds good. And since they paid you in advance, I would get some extra meat just to make sure that I didn't run out.

$15 pp... I'd say ya' done good! Congrats on the upfront payola as well!!

I just a dinner for 70, Buffet but we facilitated the serving
(first gig, wanted to make sure everything went well, and that we had enough). probably on-site for 4 hours doing chicken, prep and clean-up. also supplied paper products

Menu.
Chicken (40lbs ( 0.36/ lb) drums and thighs)
Brisket (15 lbs cooked)(1.99 /lb
Pulled Pork (14 lbs cooked 1.69/ lb)
cornbread souffle' (7 1/2 pans)
Baked beans
Coleslaw
Rolls ice tea and lemonade

Leftovers

Had enough food, however:
1/2 lb of pulled pork left over
1 pan of grilled chicken
no brisket
2 1/2 pans of cornbread
an abundance of beans

Pricing:
15.00 p/p
food cost at 35%
Full day of prep/cook/serve/clean
net profit $650.00

What we learned
We probably should have charged more, However it was our first gig, and we were more concentrated on a good impression, and to est. a rep for good food.

next time, charge either a set up or breakdown fee. If we are on site grilling and serving, add a gratuity in there.

Perhaps for the same price only offer two meats, two sides and the drinks.

Work on reducing food cost to about 28%

And, not leaving our day job anytime soon

If any experience caterers would like to weigh in on this, I would appreciate it.

Whew. Glad this is over. Feeding 100 can be easier or harder. Had this been pork and brisket, probably a lot easier then cooking chicken and ribs on site. Everything came off on time, at temperature and close to the quality we wanted. I would have liked to peel the membrane on the ribs but there was too many (36 racks) to do that to. I did square up the chicken a little to cut off skin and a little fat. We had everything in food safe bags ready to roll when we needed it and made a schedule of when things needed done. Very helpful when you have four smokers going.

I probably would have started prepping everything Wednesday instead of Thur and Friday. Amazing how fast time flies while your busy.

Everyone liked it and we didnt run out of food which is good I guess.

Thanks for all the help here.

Whew. Glad this is over. Feeding 100 can be easier or harder. Had this been pork and brisket, probably a lot easier then cooking chicken and ribs on site. Everything came off on time, at temperature and close to the quality we wanted. I would have liked to peel the membrane on the ribs but there was too many (36 racks) to do that to. I did square up the chicken a little to cut off skin and a little fat. We had everything in food safe bags ready to roll when we needed it and made a schedule of when things needed done. Very helpful when you have four smokers going.

I probably would have started prepping everything Wednesday instead of Thur and Friday. Amazing how fast time flies while your busy.

Everyone liked it and we didnt run out of food which is good I guess.

Thanks for all the help here.

Congratulations on a good job!

Making a schedule is a great idea. When we are catering larger events I always take along a white board and list each menu item, when it should start and finish and which staff member is responsible for that item. Everyone once in a while we call out for a time check and ask how each menu item is coming along. I got the idea from watching Dinner Impossible, and the staff all think it's fun to call out what they are doing. Gotta make it fun or they might mutiny when we are in crunch time :wink:

I would have liked to peel the membrane on the ribs but there was too many (36 racks) to do that to.
next time take the time to do the membrane. It's worth it in both taste and in texture. Did you at least score it between the ribs?

I've done 36 slabs for one day and another 36 for the next and it's work but it's more than worth it.

Congrats on your success.

Back