• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Backyard to the American Royal Story

moej

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I may be feeling a little goofy but I think I'm going to enter the open at the American Royal this year.

I've competed in KCBS backyard events before but have never made the move to the pro side.

Would you guys on here be interested in a facebook page following my experiences over the summer leading up to the Royal?

I plan on doing 3 backyard events then making the jump to the pro side Labor Day weekend at the Royal.

Go BIG or Go Home! Good luck! I love a good under dog story.
What you cooking on?

If there's nothing holding you back, I say let the smoke rise!

Good Luck!!

Make sure when you get there to time your walk to the turn-in area!!

Last edited:
Yikes!! Going from back yard to full comp is a huge step in itself at a 35 team contest, jumping into a 400 plus team event is a insane preposition.
If your interested in the full experience and don't mind the expense then jump on in.
Otherwise if your looking to up your comp chops I'd say find a smaller event to cook and go visit the Royal and make some friends there instead.
Ed

If you can swing it why not??? A chance to hang with and learn from some of the best in the world. Plus...if you beat even ONE of them.... man, I'd be bragging about that AD INFINITUM :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Go for it.
You're there to have fun and what could be more fun than competing at the Royal?
You'll never think you're ready to move up, you just have to go. Can't swim in the kiddie pool forever.

Hey guys,

I may be feeling a little goofy but I think I'm going to enter the open at the American Royal this year.

I've competed in KCBS backyard events before but have never made the move to the pro side.

Would you guys on here be interested in a facebook page following my experiences over the summer leading up to the Royal?

I plan on doing 3 backyard events then making the jump to the pro side Labor Day weekend at the Royal.

Sounds like a fun story to follow! Feel free to post updates on the forum as well as the FB page. Not all of our members use FB.

What would you have to lose?

It would be an amazing experience.

Do you have to make a cut to enter the Open?

No. Anyone can compete in the open. You have to qualify for the invitational.

Yikes!! Going from back yard to full comp is a huge step in itself at a 35 team contest, jumping into a 400 plus team event is a insane preposition.
If your interested in the full experience and don't mind the expense then jump on in.
Otherwise if your looking to up your comp chops I'd say find a smaller event to cook and go visit the Royal and make some friends there instead.
Ed

More like 600+ :shock: :-D

Don't let anybody hold you back or try to talk you out of it like Erik Burton and the animals said it's my life and I'll do what I want it's my mind and I'll think what I want

How do you walk with cojones that big?

I'd like to see it (the FB page, not the cojones).

Have a lash Moej - no one knows who you are and what you do so make that your secret weapon

I don't do facebooks so post how you get on

Good luck mate

I went to the American Royal site, and perused the materials.

After reading up on what will happen, part of me is jealous that you're going to jump in with both feet. I think the experience alone is worth whatever score you get.

I think I'm going to do it. My first boss told me- "You can't get with the prom queen unless you go to the dance."

For those interested I'll be cooking 2 Humphrey's Weekenders.

If its ok with the Mods I will post a link to the FB page once it is up.

Cool! I will follow the FB page.

How do you like the Weekenders? The price is attractive but I think I would regret the low capacity.

I think I'm going to do it. My first boss told me- "You can't get with the prom queen unless you go to the dance."

For those interested I'll be cooking 2 Humphrey's Weekenders.

If its ok with the Mods I will post a link to the FB page once it is up.

If you can swing it why not??? A chance to hang with and learn from some of the best in the world. Plus...if you beat even ONE of them.... man, I'd be bragging about that AD INFINITUM :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Oh yes....I agree!!! Go for it!!

Back