To Turduken or not to Turduken???

Teebody

Got Wood.
Reaction score
A few years ago I smoked a frozen Turduken from a local market. It was OK but I could see that there was room for improvement. Does anyone butcher their own or have suggestions on a commercial product that is made with love and not too hard on the budget? I have also seen a variation of it with the whole Turduken stuffed in a boneless pig, anyone ever cooked one of those?

Hebert's in Maurice La does an outstanding one... I will see if I can get you some info... Dont know if they are online...

I've done a turduckin once, bought the three items and made it myself, it wasn't that hard to do honestly, however, I did butterfly the duck/chicken as I couldn't figure out how to bone them without doing so.

I used a wild rice between the layers which worked really well, slightly cooked at fill time.

I have pictures but not with me..

I do at least half a dozen turducken's every holiday from Thanksgiving to Christmas

Lots of work .I debone all three bird's ,then stuff a Whole Duck in the Cavity of Turkey ,then stuff the Chicken in the Duck.Also put fresh Cranberry's between all.Thereforee,get all 3 meat's in each slice .

I get good money for doing this every year, same ole folk's.

I do at least half a dozen turducken's every holiday from Thanksgiving to Christmas

Lots of work .I debone all three bird's ,then stuff a Whole Duck in the Cavity of Turkey ,then stuff the Chicken in the Duck.Also put fresh Cranberry's between all.Thereforee,get all 3 meat's in each slice .

I get good money for doing this every year, same ole folk's.

where do u get a duck? ull have to let me know when you do this...id like to come over and see how exactly one debones raw birds

I love turducken, but remember it comes from TX/LA where people hunt a lot. My thought about it is that folks from rural LA probably thought turkey was dry and boring.

First ran across this when I was in school in LA and loved it--but I've always liked duck.

If you like duck, turducken is great as it makes the turkey more interesting. If you don't like duck I'd pass.

I have done a few Turduckens and am asked every year to do another. They are a LOT of work however they are very good. I don't think you have to like duck to enjoy this as the duck just adds a small great addition to the taste but is not in anyway over powering or overly distinguishable in the end product. "You Tube" is a great source for learning how to de-bone the birds and there are a number of good recipes if you Goggle. I enjoy a Cajun type recipe that includes three dressings; traditional cornbread, shrimp dressing and a third one that maybe utilizes mushrooms and pine nuts. It will put a purchased Turducken to shame. Good luck!!!

Back