smoker temp question

T&S BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm doing a couple chuckies today for some pulled beef and want to know if 160 to 180 range on the smoker is alright. Cooking to about 160ish or good color, then wrapping till tender. Got the smoker warming up right now.

Lots of smoke .Id go to 200 on smoker then take off and wrap at 125 degree.Put a dab of butter on them before wrapped.

I would think cooking that low will take forever to get it up to 160. I would shoot for 225 as my pit temp.

Are you talking about cooker temp or internal meat?

If you run the cooker @ 160, you'll never get done......try 260 or so.......needs to be somewhat higher than the finished piece ends up.....with that stuff, I'd just cook 'till it falls apart.....
Maybe pan or wrap it part way thru with some broth or even peppers & onions...........

Yep, looking for cooker temp, couldn't find where they suggested the proper temp to cook at. Looks like 260s should be ok.
Thanks for the response guys, I will post my pics later tonight. I see I made a mistake in my first post, meant to type 260 to 280 smoker temp. Thats what you get for being in a hurry.

I go 280* where my WSM likes to run. Pan and foil it when it reaches 160* IT. After that, I usually just throw them in a 350* oven since they aren't going to get any more smoke and since my WSM has a hard time running 350*...

Every smoker has a sweet spot where the seem to work best.... Get to know your smoker.

Looking forward to your pictures.

Back