First Time Doing Ribs and Looking for Assistance

jmy1986

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am looking to do ribs for the first time. We are having a family gathering tomorrow to celebrate some birthdays and I wanted to contribute something. My better half loves ribs and considering one of the birthdays we are celebrating is hers I thought ribs would be good. I still quite new to smoking as I have only done 3 pork picnic shoulders. I have a brinkmann water smoker without any Mods done to it at this point.

I have trouble finding fresh ribs where I normally shop. I see pre. frz. On most of the packing. I have a looking butcher but his pricing is sometimes steeper then my what I can afford.

Any thoughts on style of ribs to get, Rubs to use, Rough cooking times and temps or anything else that might help.

Also I was wanting to do a fatty but my local store only has 16oz sausage rolls. Any thoughts where I maybe able to find something. I tried the big bulk store to(BJ's which is like a sams club or Costco) with no luck.

Thank you all in advanced and I will post pron when I get it all going.

I use ribs that are frozen and cryovacced from the supermarket. Just read the label and see if it says enhanced with a % solution. Natural is the best but the others will work just cut down on the salt you use. I get pork spare ribs. I trim the flap off of the back and then there is a membrane on the bones that I pull off. If not it can get tough. I use Everglades seasoning and Everglades Rub on my ribs but you can use whatever you like or make up a rub. I try to run my pit at 250 and ribs usually take 4 to 5 hours. You can run higher temps and shorten the cook time. To check for done I use a toothpick between the bones and it should slide in with no resistance.

I always buy my ribs at wally world and assume they are previously frozen. I have always had good ribs. Would they win a competition? Doubt it. Do they satisfy my taste buds and those I invite to enjoy the blessed goodness? You bet. I wouldn't get to hung up on where you purchase your ribs, especially as a newb.

Just so you don't get frustrated reading the replies, I'm going to say there are about as many different ways to cook ribs as there are members of this forum. The reason for that is that ribs are pretty easy to cook. You can toss them on your smoker with or without rub, or simply salt and pepper and cook until done. Cooking temps range from 200* to 300*+. Some wrap in foil for an hour or two midway. Heck, some even boil first :shock: and then grill them up. The reason for all the variations is that they are very forgiving. My advice is to read, look at pics and do what you feel comfortable with. There is no right or wrong way to do this -- you're still fairly new here, so we're not going to get into the nitty gritty details discussed in the penalty forum.

I usually buy spares except when i do backs. I trim off the tips sometimes. Ill peel or score the membrane, it depends. Sometimes i slather with mustard, other times its oil. Rub or season. I put them on the smoker for a few, sometimes ill wrap, usually i dont. Ill wrap them with juice, or sugar, butter and honey, or ill wrap them with nothing. Back on for a few more. At the end i may or may not sauce. They always pass the bend test when done.

For a beginners rib cook I suggest buying either baby backs or St. Louis ribs at your grocery store or Sams/Costco. Remove the membrane and rinse. Pat dry and apply mustard or your favorite oil. Rub down with any all purpose bbq rub or make your own with equal parts Salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder/paprika. Cook at 250-275 for around 3-4 hours until you can stick a toothpick in between bones with little to no resistance. Use no more than 2-3 fruit wood chunks. This will make ribs as good as anything you can get in a restaurant. After this I bet you will be spritzing, wrapping and glazing in no time. Good luck.

St. Louis cut Spares ( I buy the frozen cryovac ones from whoever has them on sale) -Peel membrane if you can ( if it's hard to pull I just leave it)- hit with PlowBoys Yardbird Rub - 275* - 4-4.5 hrs. Slice n Eat. :mrgreen:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002TT46DM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1413646003&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40"]Plowboys Yardbird Rub 14 oz:Amazon:Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61KsziUhbEL.@@AMEPARAM@@61KsziUhbEL[/ame]

Since you have done 3 pork picnic shoulders, you have the basics you need already. Choose the type of rib you know your wife enjoys. I have cooked ribs using the same rub as I use for a butt with great success. Membrane removal helps the rub reach the meat but is not necessary. It can be removed afterwards. Post the temp you cooked the butts at and someone will help you with timing.

Everything they said above, especially Gore. Everyone does ribs a little different cause they are so forgiving.

For me, I rinse, peel membrane, rub, start pit, throw them on when thin blue smoke, wrap 2 hours later, unwrap 1 hour later, pull them off when they pass the bend test. I don't sauce, but serve it on the side for those that want it.

Bend test: Pick up ribs at one end with tongs. They should bend over almost 90* and the top of the meat should crack a little.

After you thaw out the package of ribcicles in a sink of cold water with a few water changes.
Open the package and rinse them off pat dry with a paper towel
Wet the surface with Worcestershire sauce
Apply a light coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat LESS IS MORE
Rub with this:
Blu's Pork Rub for the BBQ Challenged

• 1 4 oz bottle Sweet Paprika
  • 1/2 a 4oz bottle Sugar( what ever kind you have)
  • 1/2 a 4 oz bottle of Kosher salt
  • 1 Teasp celery salt
  • 1 Teasp Granulated onion
  • 1 Teasp Granulated garlic
  • 1 Table sp Mrs Dash Lemon pepper
  • 1/2 tsp (or to taste) Cayenne pepper
  • 1 Teasp Ginger
  • 1 Teasp mustard powder

Bring your pit to a temp of 275 deg put the ribs on Bone side down close the lid pop-a-top and manage the fire to maintain your temp, because if ya look'n Ya aint cook'n!!! When the clock hits the minimum time listed below use a pair of tongs to see if they look like the pic below if not keep cook'n unless they bust in two then they are over cook ( Fall'n off the bone) done.

Full Spares will take 4.5 - 5 hrs
St Louis cut 4 - 4.5 hrs
Loin backs 3.5 - 4 hrs

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For
a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Properly cooked Ribs
bendtest.jpg

Fatties
A fattie is a chub of breakfast sausage that has been smoked This is the Holy Grail of Fatties the "Naked Fattie" , he has relatives the "Spicy Fattie" ( rubbed chub) and the "Mack Daddy Whack Fattie" ( Stuffed and bacon weave wrapped and rubbed) Personally I go neked and rub my chub with a little Sweet BBQ Spice before it gets smoked:biggrin1:

Don't get too focused on time. Time will give you an idea of when to start bend testing/tooth pick testing. Cook until toothpick test or bend tests says they are done.

Thank you for all the insight so far. I went to the store and pick up a rack of St. Lois style and a rack of Baby backs. Also picked up two one pound sausage rolls. Party starts at 2 tomorrow with dinner at 4. Anyone have any tips for holding temp. I will only be driving 10 mins to my parents house for the party but will need to hold temp for about 2 hours.

I have a sweet and smoky rub I am fond of that I will use.

I have cowboy lump that I will be using along with stumps briquettes. I also have some hickory chunks and apple, mesquite, pecan chips.

Was going to use hickory chunks unless something else might be better.

I believe the butts were cooking between 225-250.

Wrap ribs, fatties in foil, wrap a towel around that and put in an ice chest.
PS Don't use your wife's favorite towel!

So they went on about 15 mins ago. Here are some pictures from out of the cryo and after the rub. Will add more after smoke.

First two pictures are the St. Louis and the second two are the Baby Backs

Attachments

• WIN_20141019_080945.jpg
    WIN_20141019_080945.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 32
  • WIN_20141019_083503.jpg
    WIN_20141019_083503.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 31
  • WIN_20141019_080953.jpg
    WIN_20141019_080953.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 31
  • WIN_20141019_083512.jpg
    WIN_20141019_083512.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 31
They finished up at about 1:50 but we were running late so I did not have time to take any photos before I foiled them and didn't not have anywhere to put them out prior to dinner so they stayed foiled. They came out pretty well for the first try. They had a nice little kick to them. Family all said nice things but they were a bit dry as I was expecting. I only have these photos of the St. Louis style, which I hid for my enjoyment tomorrow, All the baby back went quick.

Attachments

• WIN_20141019_193805.jpg
    WIN_20141019_193805.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 13
  • WIN_20141019_193757.jpg
    WIN_20141019_193757.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 13
Back