Debating on adding a texas made pit to my arsenal

jd-santaclarita

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi All - I'm hoping to get some thoughts on whether it makes sense to add a big stick burning pit to my lineup (preferably made in texas). We live in central texas and have a few acreage and I've got a few cords of oak I split this summer racked up and I can't help but feel like a "need" a big ol' pit out there. My main daily cooker is my Fast Eddy 1000pg pellet grill and since I'm pretty busy (and kind of lazy) it will remain my daily pit for sure. Also have a nice UDS that I use when I want a little more smokeyness and have the time.

I see so many trailer pits around and can't help but drool over them. Maybe I'm losing my marbles, not sure.

Anyhow, any suggestions on good texas made pits that would make your list? Gator pits look awesome as do Klose, but I'm not sure if they will fit the budget if I want to go trailer pit. That brings up another question: Trailer or not? I don't currently have any need to drive it around anywhere, but who knows, that may change as my boys are getting to the age where they are playing sports, etc, maybe that would spawn BBQ's or something, not sure. I've seen a fair amount of "custom trailer pits" on craigslist that look "good" (its hard to judge whats important and compare when they are made by a welding shop and not a known company). They seem to go for $2000 to $4500, I don't need big capacity. I'm just struggling with going with the smaller backyard version that looks like the stuff they sell at acadamy (i know the difference is huge in quality, steel thickness, etc), but going the trailer route just feels like its got a 'badass' factor to it that's intriguing to say the least.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling, I'm just thinking out loud and was hoping to get some feedback or thoughts.

If you are looking for an offset don't forget about LSG. They have a decent following here and especially in Texas. You can save a lot of money picking it up yourself. Nothing wrong with getting something a little bigger just in case.

One more vote for Lone Star Grillz. My pit is being fabricated as we speak. For what you're looking I think they fit perfect.

Keep your eye on Craigslist, and dont just look in your area, check out San Antonio, Houston, Austin if you are patient than you will find one you like, and don’t just jump up and grab the first one that’s in your budget if you are not 100% in love with it. You can also ask some welding shops what they would charge to build one if you provide the trailer and tank. Just My .02 stay positive and keep looking.

For sure would be nice to have a trailer pit given that you have the land for it (and a stick burner is always good to add to the arsenal). Agree with LSG, and also Tejas makes a good pit for a lot less than Gator or Klose. Don't ignore the possibility of going a little bit out of Texas (to AL) and giving Paul Shirley a ring.

I'll definitely take a look at LSG and BigHatBBQ. I also ran across these guys easttexassmokercompany.com to take a peak at. You have me thinking about the backyard model + utility trailer as well. On one hand its less like a big showpiece out in the yard like a trailer pit would be, BUT, it feels like the cost of the trailer setup is a huge jump. Also, I have a general use for a utility trailer as well, so that may kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Although, I'm guessing its probably a pretty big task to get a nice heavy pit loaded up onto a trailer and secured properly, etc, for a road trip. I do fear that would pretty much mean it would never ever happen unless I had a good way to make it simple.

Thanks,
JD

I have a Klose and love it, but yeah, not cheap. You are fortunate in that you live near a high concentration of quality fabricators. I have heard good things about these other companies already mentioned - i.e. I have never heard anyone who got a Gator or LSG and say anything other than that they absolutely loved it.

If you're looking at "custom" pits and whatnot on CL, it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with desirable qualities on a stickburner - namely adequate intake and exhaust vents. When looking at home made jobs you might run across rigs that don't get enough airflow and won't cook well at all.

Or you can just give me all that oak. :thumb:

I'll definitely take a look at LSG and BigHatBBQ. I also ran across these guys easttexassmokercompany.com to take a peak at. You have me thinking about the backyard model + utility trailer as well. On one hand its less like a big showpiece out in the yard like a trailer pit would be, BUT, it feels like the cost of the trailer setup is a huge jump. Also, I have a general use for a utility trailer as well, so that may kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Although, I'm guessing its probably a pretty big task to get a nice heavy pit loaded up onto a trailer and secured properly, etc, for a road trip. I do fear that would pretty much mean it would never ever happen unless I had a good way to make it simple.

Thanks,
JD

Caster plus a small electric winch. :wink:

Check my for sale ad in the sale and trade forum, Tejas makes quality pits, I need to sell mine, model 2040CC,

One more vote for LSG. They are in the final stages of completing my trailer pit and i expect it to be done this week actually. I scoured the internet for months before making a decision and finally decided to go with them. I've dealt with alot of people in various areas of my personal and professional life... And Chris and Amber are the model for excellent customer service. You wont be disappointed.

Why think small when your present equipment already has that covered? As long as you've got the room, and the wood, hop on over to Taylor and check out Louie Mueller's setup for something distinctive and effective.

I bought a pit from "Pits by JJ" and I love it. He is in Texas and was less expensive than Klose and Gator pits when I bought it. He was great to work with over the phone too.

if you dont need a trailer a nice open pit made from brick would be nice...central texas open pit BBQ :thumb:

like Coopers in Llano

Pit.jpg

Took delivery of an East Texas Smoker rig last month. Still learning it but liking it so far. Wood hungry beast but you can cook for an Army on it. Propane burners and built in propane jet log starter built into firebox are nice additions. Now if I could only find a mesquite log supplier here in the People's Republic of Maryland I could convert these pit beef freaks into brisket fans!

Was hoping to get some thoughts on running charcoal on a big offset pit (24x48" with a vertical rib box, etc). I like the idea of burning wood, but im also trying to weigh in the practicalness of being able to use charcoal when I dont have time to tend the fire (probably more often than not) or wood is not on hand. This maybe a silly question, but is it reasonable/recommended/practical to use charcoal as the fuel source for a large pit? The thought being that i could connect up an automated temp controller (i've built one already for my UDS), connect up the fan to a pipe nipple on the firebox, set it and do 'kid and family business' while it keeps things solid, similar to the way i do my UDS. OR is that totally a pipe dream and not practical given the design/airflow/size of these pits.

Thanks,
JD

Sounds like you have the bug that won't stop bugging. You're going to get one one reguardless, eventually. Research and find the best one that fits your needs.

Back